Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Happy Birthday!

KJ

Let's give it up for one of the true legends of popular music of the last 100 years as he celebrates his 85th birthday tomorrow, June 9th. This man has pioneered many of the things that us music professionals/hobbyists take for granted such as multi-track recording, tape flanging, low-impeadance pick-ups and of course the solid body guitar. Alot of people probably don't even connect that there is a real person behind that beautiful flamed maple-top guitar with the gleaming humbuckers hanging on the music store wall.

Happy Birthday Les Paul and thank you for everything that you have done to make guitars and and music what they are today!!!!

------------------

KJ

-------------------

bari man low

KJ

-------------------

"50 million Elvis Presley fans can't be all wrong" - John Prine

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by ricknbokker:

If I could, (and HE could!)...I would have his children...

Steve

LOL good one!

Happy bday mister les paul sir.. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

meh

It's great to hear Les is still with us as I've heard no news about him in years. I wrote a report on him in like 6th grade (and I'm 40 something so that was awhile back); all about the stationary elbow set so he could still play guitar, the multitracking and of course his electric guitar research and signature instrument. What a true genius! Happy 85th Les!

you want to learn more about les paul?

get it from the horses mouth. just go see him on any given monday night in NYC at irridium. he's funny, cranky, he still plays great, and he'll talk your ear off at the bar between sets.

-d. gauss

One thing we seldom think of regarding Mr. Paul is the accident that left him with that immobilized right elbow. I personnally benefitted from his misfortune,however, in that, as a child in the late 1950s I experienced a multiple fracture in one arm. Doctors set & reset my arm and it looked like I was going to wind up with a joint set rigidly in place. Luckily my father could afford to fly in these docs from Chicago who'd been trying to find a method solving the problem they'd had with Les's arm &, to my everlasting thanks, they were able to finally set my bones in a way that granted me full range of motion.

Multitrack recording is cool 'n' all but Les's funky doctors get my thanks !

Well, my Belated Birthday wishes to Les Paul. I was lucky to have met him several times and attended his birthday party at the Iridium two years in a row. What a funny and nice guy! Not to mention a killer guitar player. At one party they were showing a clip from his TV Show and he was playing some licks that would make any shredmaster sweat, but Les was just pickin' and grinnin'. Has anyone seen the tribute video concert with Eddie Van Halen etc. It's very cool. Les attended the Christmas party at the studio where I worked a few years ago and I got the honor of giving him the studio tour. He asked technical questions about every piece of equipment in the place, half of which I couldn't answer. My Dad was right, Les Paul is the greatest!

------------------

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

This message has been edited by gtrmac@hotmail.com on 06-18-2001 at 12:31 AM

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

Archived