Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

jimmy page meets the byrds?.......

D. Gauss

ok folks, i'm not really a "world music" guy but...anybody familiar with a turkish/greek instrument called a baglama? i call it a leg-o-lama, but that's just me. anyway, i just finished up a new record and took a much deserved vacation to istanbul, turkey. (not constantinopel!) while there i picked up the afore mentioned baglama. 7 strings in a psuedo 12 string format. in DAD tuning i.e. low d high d, a,a, low d, d, d. has frets for 1/4 tones and makes sounds like jimmy page playing the byrds. anybody know any more? it's lots of fun so far, but i'm just a hack at this point...

-d. gauss

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't Istanbul used to be called Constantinople...when it was the "new Rome", the head of the Eastern Church, which became the Eastern Orthodox Church? And then to Istanbul when the Moslems took over? I may be wrong...but I believe they're the same city...kinda like St. Petersburg was changed to Leningrad or whatever...

At any rate...coolness! Intriguing foreign instruments...uh...intrigue me. Like the 60s when George Harrison picked up the sitar...and the early 70s when Cat Stevens put a Bouzouki on a couple of his tunes. Make sure you let us hear some samples!

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

<

yeah, i was making a thinly veiled reference to the "they might be giants" song "istanbul not constantinople"... anyway, its a great place. saw some turkish cover band play the new bon jovi song and the place went nuts. strange indeed...

-d. gauss

• 1 month later...

Archived