Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Realistic and humbling.......for some

strat0124

Alright sinners, here's the scenario: Small club, one club manager who wants an acceptable volume for his biz, one amp, one guitar.......what will you use? I imagine there's gonna be some WAY different responses. Now I'm talking a good acceptable tone at a decent stage volume....no outboards/front ends....just the basics.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey strat

Easy man... when I'm needing a basic and versatile simple guitar /amp setup here's what I use

gibson les paul 1959 standard and a vintage vox ac30

Love it to death!! Totally versatile sounds mint.

Simon http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

...remember there is absolutely no point in talking about someone behind their back unless they get to hear about it...

Sounds kicking...I've been thinking of trying out the Laney stuff, specifically the AC30 clone they have......it's about half the price of the VOX unit....hope it's not half the tone as well. My small club setup is very modest, but there's no modesty sonically. I use a strat and a Blues Jr or a Pro Jr. Of course with the genre we play, it suits it to a tee.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

well,this is right up my alley-here is my mantra-one guitar-one amp-one speaker. it is all i ever use:fender strat-fender dual showman-fender speaker cabw/ 1 JBL 15" D130F. say 'hallelujah' yall!
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Angus says:

Small club? Only use one wall of 12 Marshall stacks. If he complains turn 'em down to 9.

hehehe...

Actually, can't go wrong with some sort of combo. That's what's cool about 'em. You can fill a small place easily, and mic 'em for larger places.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Well, I like a lot of effects and changes of sound so I would probably get one of those modeling amps with on board effects. Doesn't sound exactly like the real thing, but close enough. Who knows? Maybe a model of a mesa turned up to ten sounds better than the real thing turned up to three. I'd probably also use a humbucker equipped guitar with coil splitters so I could imitate single coils. Again, not the real thing, but close enough.

Save the good gear for the club owners who don't care how loud you are.

~clockwirk~

If we're getting "pure" here, a reissue Deluxe, or if they have a mic a Blues Junior would be fine, I don't care.

If I had my druthers and didn't care about the spirit of the post, I'll take a 3 channel Rectifier combo or a Nomad.

Guitar - whatever, as long as it has decent action, stays in tune and isn't a Les Paul.

Druthers - Suhr standard, Anderson, or some such... Or the *right* 50's Strat.

http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Originally posted by d gauss:

old= a 15 watt tweed fender deluxe

new= a 15 fender blues jr

Wow, weird...

I wish Fender would make the Blues jr. into a pedal. You can do more touch sensitive stuff with those amps than anything else....

http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Modeling amps. Yeah! I would use my Flextone II and strat!!!

You can't go wrong with that setting. You have cool sounding amps (I really don't care if they sound like real thing or not because they sound cool to me!!!) plus cool FX and cool guitar...

If it sounds god, just play the darn thing

It depends on what type of music you are playing. I would bring my mesa/boogie dual rectifier turn it 3. I would just throw an sm-57 at one of the speakers and let the sound man worry about it. I play a ibanez 570 so that is what i would recomend and my band plays punk and jazz.

Ouch! What a waste of a mesa/boogie amp! (The ibanez 570) Get thee a suitable guitar for that ssssswwweeet amp.

Or, go the other route.

Scary as it is to admit, I played the Behringer combo today, with a Tex-Mex Tele, and it was fantastic. It doesn't stand up to a fine tube amp properly tweaked, but I was able to get some wonderful tones from the neck pickup in particular.

One thing the modeling amps and boxes seem to be half assed on is an SRV tone. This amp nailed it, although with very little low end. (The low knob was cranked.) I was playing very quietly, though. When I turned it up for a moment, the bottom was respectable. Still had the knob cranked. Very responsive to input changes too. Oh, yeah... You have $300 + tax? That's all she wrote, at the local Mars store, with a 24 bit, dual engine f/x processor built in. Sweet amp for precisely what you mapped out.

Neil

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by strat0124:

Sounds kicking...I've been thinking of trying out the Laney stuff, specifically the AC30 clone they have......it's about half the price of the VOX unit....hope it's not half the tone as well. My small club setup is very modest, but there's no modesty sonically. I use a strat and a Blues Jr or a Pro Jr. Of course with the genre we play, it suits it to a tee.

Hey strat

If your gonna check out Laney go have a play on some old Orange stuff, I gotta couple of Orange heads and they'll blow the Laney to pieces... Let me know how ya get on

best

Simon http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

...remember there is absolutely no point in talking about someone behind their back unless they get to hear about it...

I had an Orange head back in the day. Cool grind, but it'd be way too loud for the scene I play now. I'm into small tube amps these days, the ones you can get crankin at a semi-cool stage volume.

Archived