Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

B.S. or 12 and Sweat

rosespappy

For the benefit of Rose, how about some personal life journeys?

She's about to have to decide on a 4 year degree and school or spending enough time in a recording school to become hands-on oriented to the production of her own stuff.

So did you,(should she) go to college,meet some other musicians, see the world,take an 8 week course, or stay at home and continue to work on polishing her present stuff......????

What did you do? What would you do now?

Thanks everyone, your opinions will be valued by her greatly.(Oh yeah,and me too!!!)

Rick

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

one set of suggestions:

-go to college in a big music town. ny, nashville, la, etc. get a major in business and a minor in music, meet people, jam etc. plus...

-intern at a recording studio i.e. be a janitor, whatever and learn the ropes from the ground up. plus...

-intern at a major record company. even if you don't learn a lot, you'll get some contacts. and...

buy a few lotto tickets and cross your fingers

-d. gauss

Advice...

1). Don't get a four year degree in something that you can learn on your own (or something that a degree has no bearing on, like, you've either got it or you don't).

2). (And this is IMPORTANT)...GET A FOUR YEAR DEGREE.

That said...if she loves recording, she can learn it on the side while she's getting her four year degree in something useful, like business. Remember, music is a business, and she can take that piece of paper anywhere should music slow down for a while. Once you've got that four year degree, you can do whatever you want...

Did I mention that she should GET A FOUR YEAR DEGREE!!!

(I'm not hollering...but I just wanted to make that point should Rose read this...she may be more inclined to believe someone other than her dad...my kids are like that...) http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Also, may I say that a four year degree (at least) is perhaps the best life insurance policy she can have. If something happens to her spouse (future spouse as the case may be) she'll be all set, no matter what happens, to take care of business.

Ted Hoffman (B.S. (and plenty of it) in Meteorology)

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I made the mistake of going to school for music production. I also spent a few years traveling around the country in an attempt to be a professional musician. Luckily, I smartened up later and went back to school for a REAL degree (electronics engineering).

I would absolutely suggest going to college, but get a degree in something practical. I like the business degree advice, I know a lot of musicians who have gone back to school to get a business degree. If business isn't your thing, find something that interests you, but will still be useful in a variety of fields. Computer Science is another wide-open field, and (like it or not) is becoming more and more useful in the music industry.

Scott

(just another cantankerous bastard)

Absolutely finish college.......without it you'll be stuck in dead end jobs, plus a musician can do well in a college town playing for pay and keeping out of the restaurant waiter/waitress bit.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Many,Many Thanks! Ted is correct in his obsevation that Rose will hear what you have to say easier than trying to hear me through the Dad/Daughter/Musicians wall.

I've been at this for years, and surrendered my dream too soon. Rose will "make it." She has an incredible array of talents, but, having a working knowledge of another are of study does not(at least to me) constitute surrender.

My thinking is that, here in our little town, there are 3, maybe 4, like minded young musicians. In any college town there are how many musicians?

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to keep her in our studio, jammin' with me forever. But, the sad truth is, I'll be limiting her to what my abilities and dreams are. And she has waaay more potential than I ever dreamed of.

So, keep your ideas comin' and I'll show her the thread tomorrow night!

Thanks again, much schmoozing ad nauseum!!!

Rick

Rick wrote...

>>>My thinking is that, here in our little town, there are 3, maybe 4, like minded young musicians. In any college town there are how many musicians?

This was a big mistake I made early in life. Not that I'd ever have "made it", but I would have been more inspired to branch out musically. Instead, I stayed in my stupid little Peyton Place town with the same stupid (some talented, but basically stupid) musicians. If I'd have gone away to school, I may have gotten my degree sooner, and met some cooler people too...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I have had to make the same decision.

I graduate from high School in weeks and in the fall I will attend the University of Connecticut to study Psychology and continue my band partime even though we are doing really well. My band lives near the campus so i won't be too far and we will still play, but for no reason do i want to compromise my education.

www.MasonicBand.com

Archived