Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

shuggie otis is still alive(and kickin...)

stanner

damn,i caught shuggie otis on 'conan' the other nite and he played"strawberry letter#23" i think its called and it has been one of my very favorite guitar thangs for a lonnnngg time(the 'brothers johnson' had a hit w/ it-lee ritenour(sp?) did the guitaring on that) -the record came out in '74 and he was gona be the next 'hendrix or 'sly stone' or somethin and then he seemed to disappear. now they have re-released his album and i guess he is gettin a push from someone, and well its just great to see because he is one hell of a guitar player and hopefully something good will come of this.

(he is on letterman on fri the 4th i'm hearing,hope so...also hope he comes to my town soon. anybody askin about new guys or guitar people no one has heard of ,this guy is definitely the real thing!

AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

shuggie's great as is his pop Johnnie "willie and the hand jive" otis. speaking of letterman, gonna be good tv tonight. on leno prince is playing for the 2nd night in a row.

-d. gauss

I liked that middle bit in "letter 23"...kinda didn't fit in the song IMHO...but was cool enough that it didn't have to.

I'm REEEEAAALLY surprised that the "edit it out" radio crapheads didn't edit that bit out...I'm surprised we got to hear it at all unless we had bought the LP anyway...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Heard Mr. Otis for the first time a couple of months ago.

I thank God almost daily for the amazing public radio station in my area. (Philly)

The first thing I thought was, 'anyone w/a name like Shuggie has GOT to be cool!!!

Archived