Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitars, Cadillacs, Hillbilly Music...

Tedster

YEEEEEHAWWWW!

What the hail, Ah'm bored...so Ah thought this would be a good topic. Anybody have an opinion as to who the hottest coal on the fahr is, that is to say, who's the slickest picker this sahd o' Nashville...

Who's y'all's fav'rite country guitarists...old or new? And, the list can include pedal steel players...

I'll toss a couple o' names to start out...I caught Junior Brown's "Sugarfoot Rag" on CMT's "Jammin' Country" the other night. The six string slingin' was good, but when he went to his steel neck, he damn near wiped me out.

Other more recent burners I admire, Brad Paisley (listen to "Me Neither"), Steve Wariner (although he's not really recent, but compared to Don Rich he is).

Or does anybody much listen to down home pickin'?

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ALbert Lee, Ray Flacke, Junior Brown, Randy Scruggs, Marty Stuart, and Ricky Skaggs are a few of my faves. Don't listen to current country radio, it's going through one of it's "stages" again.....really cookie cutter. However Alt-Country has alot of outstanding artists doing it the old way. Lee Roy Parnell ain't no slacker either. Bluegrass pickers to me just rip......it's like Heavy Metal for Old Folks.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

You guys have named outstanding guitarists, no doubt. A couple people may not realize... Clint Black. Vince Gill.

And I heard a ditty the other day by keith urban that was kickass. I can't find it in my files and can't remember the song (or maybe it was a medley) but it was a live acoustic thing and he just smoked. If he's that good on one song, he's likely good all-around.

------------------

Duke

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

>>it's like Heavy Metal for Old Folks.

YEEEHAWWWW!...Pass the jug 'round one mo-ore time!

How 'bout the original Country Gent himself...Mr. Chet Atkins...

Yep, Albert Lee is one of my faves.

Anybody ever play a B-bender?

speedy west and jimmy bryant, roy clark, bill kirchen (commander cody & nick lowe), merle travis, chet atkins, cliff gallup (gene vincent), merle haggard's guy um roy something, vine gil is a mother, too many to mention....

-d. gauss

Yeah, I play a bender at every show. I have to bring three guitars given the tunes we play. One for slide, one for the bstring/drop D stuff, and my numero uno strat. Really blows peoples minds when you do those licks......I don't think they are used to that in the clubs.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

I can't believe no one's mentioned Brent Mason yet, altho the original post was "this side (oops, spelled it right) of Nashvile (oops, spelled it wrong)" and Brent's actually IN Nashville. Pretty awesome player though. And I second the motions for the old guys. Barney Kessel once was quoted as saying that Jimmy Bryant had more technique than anyone he'd ever heard. Joe Maphis was another monster flat-picker. Also check out Scotty Anderson. Plays w/ a thumbpick... gets double and triple stop lines going faster than most guys play single notes. And if were lucky enough to have heard Danny Gatton playing country you would known for certain you'd heard the greatest country picker who ever lived on this planet. And don't forget that James Burton invented chicken pickin'.

This message has been edited by gizmo@his.com on 04-30-2001 at 10:56 PM

gizmo

Natch, the late, great, Danny Gatton. Such talent...what a shame...

The recordings I've heard just floor me. Make me want to take up, oh, working at McDonalds...or something.

while not bein too familiar w/ this genre i really like

guit pickin-what a powerful sound-i think he plinks on a custom tele

and, well it rox my geetar world...

AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Originally posted by stanner:

while not bein too familiar w/ this genre i really like

guit pickin-what a powerful sound-i think he plinks on a custom tele

and, well it rox my geetar world...

He does sound great.

He uses a couple of nice "Anderson" guitars. They talk about it on the www.andersonguitars.com website.

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

I got to second Brent Mason and Brad Paisley, they both kick butt. I got to give it up for Roy Clark too, not just his guitar playin either, that man can pick up darn near anything with strings on it and wail. Anyone ever heard his Banjo or Mandolin playin, whoa, smokin stuff. And let's not forget Junior Brown, I got to see him live recently in a small club, all I can say is WOW. Then there's Clint Black, Ricky Skaggs, Vince gill etc....

There's just too many to list.

And let's not forget the Dixie Chicks, on top of being top notch singers they play some pretty kickin instruments too.

I don't think ANYONE on this post has named a questionable entry. They all smoke. But where, oh where, is Jerry Reed. Most of you would know him as Burt Reynolds' truck drivin' co-star in Smokey and the Bandit. But this long time collaborator of Chet Atkins is on fire. Check out The Claw. Buster Jones is another one. Your brain needs time to catch up with his playing. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

You guys have named outstanding guitarists, no doubt. A couple people may not realize... Clint Black. Vince Gill.

And I heard a ditty the other day by keith urban that was kickass. I can't find it in my files and can't remember the song (or maybe it was a medley) but it was a live acoustic thing and he just smoked. If he's that good on one song, he's likely good all-around.

------------------

Duke

As to Clint and Vince, after working with them several times, I can say without a doubt that these guys play very well. A few months ago I mixed for Keith Urban at a Capitol Records' private party. He is a hell of a player, and has an uncanny control of dynamics when playing solo. Saw him a few years ago at the Country Radio Seminar with his old band, The Ranch. They closed the New Faces show with Scatterbilly. If you REALLY want to hear him play, get that record. He plays all over chicken pickin' and jazz. I've spoken to him several times in my ex-Mars music gig. He's a humble player, too.

As for steel, Paul Franklin smokes! I have a friend, Robin Ruddy, who has played for Ray Stevens for the past few years. She plays steel, banjo, and dobro VERY well.

Neil

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Ah sahta fancy Doc Watson mahself there tedster.Fo pedal steel ah fancy an ole boy by tha nama Johnny that ah met at the dulcimer shop. He had pictures of him an Roy Clark,Merle,Jerry Reid to name a few, all over the inside a the silver punkun he wasa livin and ridin in. Positively smoked. Just didn't have a dry bone in im.

Yeah, Jim Olander is great. He has a track on a compilation I have called Nashville Guitars. Has some great players on it. If anyone is interested, you can find it at Amazon and CDNow.

I'm a sucker for the guys that do the cool pedal steel bends: Arlen Roth, Jerry Donahue, etc.

Oops. I forgot a really important one. If dead guys count you gotta include Clarence White.

Also Thumbs Carlyle (did I spell that right?).

Thumbs played w/ Roger Miller for years and years. Danny Gatton once told me that he took the gig w/ Roger just to watch Thumbs play every night.

gizmo

Gizmo said...

>>>Danny Gatton once told me that he took the gig w/ Roger just to watch Thumbs play every night.

You knew Danny Gatton? I'M NOT WORTHY! I'M NOT WORTHY!

Oh, and BTW...yep, Jerry Reed is a phenomenal slickerpicker...and his outing with Chet was great.

Ever hear the album "Chester and Lester"? Chet Atkins and Les Paul?

Archived