Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who are your non-Guitar influences?

clockwirk

I've heard that Holdsworth developed his style because he was trying to sound like Coltrane. and then, of course, there is Yngwie trying to be like all those violinists...... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Who are some non-Guitarists, non guitar pieces, or other instruments that influenced the way you play the guitar?

~clockwirk~

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I dig the horns too.

Little bit of a different style, but I was just listening to a live recording of some Brecker Brothers stuff from the 70's. A tad over the top, but still extremely funky. Some of the stuff Michael Brecker was doing on his sax was locking the pocket in soooooo heavy. It was like he was part of the rhythm section. I remember hearing him and wishing I could play rhythm guitar as funky as he was playing that sax. It's weird, because sometimes he was playing his sax through a wah pedal. Kind of like, guitar influenced sax influenced guitar. knamean?

~clockwirk~

Some of my favorites are definitely sax players -- Wayne Shorter is at the top of my personal favorite list, which also includes Coltrane, Charlie Parker, Sonny Rollins, and Jan Garbarek.

I also dig keyboard players; among my favorites are Joe Zawinul, Bill Evans, Herbie Hancock, Kenny Kirkland.

Singers, of course -- Lennon and McCartney, Jack Bruce, Sting, Andy Partridge, Otis Redding, Albert King, and many more.

Finally a lot of these same people I also admire for their compositional prowess as well. To that list I would also add Leni Stern, Donald Fagen, Wayne Krantz, David Torn, Robert Fripp -- alot of guitarits in that list, but here I'm admiring their conceptions of how to frame what they play.

Let's see: Michael Jordan, Claude Monet, Richard Feynman, Tony Hawk, Michael Schumacher, DaVinci

Oh, wait, you mean musical influences....

Originally posted by clockwirk:

Who are some non-Guitarists, non guitar pieces, or other instruments that influenced the way you play the guitar?

Learned the first 64 bars of the "Giant Steps" solo like apparently every horn player on the planet has... "Mr. PC" has cool stuff in it, but "Naima" rules...

The obligatory Paganinni Caprices: most of the 24th and 5th, the fun bits from the rest.

A bunch of Vivaldi violin bits; great non-obvious melody.

Charlie Parker: "Scrapple from the Apple"; number of others: stereotpyical bop arpeggio sequencing

Albinoni's "Adagio in Gm" - great violinistically expressive bits there...

Assorted Bach bits: logical chord/voice leading things.

Assorted Beethoven bits: monolithic structural concepts.

Assorted indian ragas: learning to resolve non-diatonic phases and use certain microtonal bends

Assorted Japanese koto music: using microtonal bends in hybrid pentatonic situations.

Bulgarian folk music: ornamentation that is simply "Bulgarian" sounding...

Most importantly, though: singers....

I've spent a lot of time trying to cop vocal inflections of different singers. Bono on Clannad's "In a Lifetime"; that was a big influence on a certain type of thing I do, as is a number of things picked up from Chris Cornell vocal parts.... and Jeff Buckley. Sarah McLachlan's falsetto-break phrases are interesting from an arpeggio standpoint, if you think in terms of wound strings versus unwound strings and octaves: she does a certain type of bend into the falsetto parts, sometimes a ninth above... Robert Plant lets go of certain note bends a particular way (ala "Whole Lot of Love"). k.d. lang's vibrato is the ultimate: very educational to try to match her inflections. Kate Bush did a lot of weird things with her voice that sounds different on guitar.

Curiously, try emulating Hendrix' singing on live versions of "Machine Gun": *that* is the hardest thing to do, ever, getting the timbre and inflection just right. Spent a lot of time screwing around with that...

John Lee Hooker is neat in that respect as well: try to get that "spooky" vibe out of embellishing one vocal note, very very tricky.

Member #417, Raving Loon Society

http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Alot of my licks came from me trying to sound like the honky tonk piano stuff I heard as a kid, also those early R&B growling tenor sax licks. Also banjo players, I do alot of rolls and ripping single line stuff that comes directly from bluegrass banjo. Violin and pedal steel licks as well.......I steal from anybody I can!!!!!!
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Well, I am primarily influenced by DRUMMERS. Not just famous drummers I admire (although Charlie Watts, John Bonham, Stan Lynch, Keith Moon and a handful of others have influenced my guitar playing), but drummers I play with, too. I play HEAVILY off the drums, especially the snare drum. And I try to get tones out of my guitar that have the same kind of primal raw power as drums. Even when I play acoustic it tends to be quite percussive, like when Pete Townshend plays acoustic.

Even if it's a solo, to my mind if it ain't rhythmic and in time and groovin' it ain't happenin'.

--Lee

Originally posted by Chip McDonald:

Most importantly, though: singers....

Good point Chip.

I think that all musical instruments (at least melodic ones) can be traced in some way to an attempt to imitate the human voice. With us, it's obvious in vibrato, bends, volume swells, wah pedals, and Frampton on his talk box ("his guitar is TALKING to me...dude!!").

I also think this is why so many of us find techno music sterile.

I need to spend more time doing that imitatin' singers practicing thing...

~clockwirk~

I'm with Lee, I tend to get in the groove with the drummer. It's kinda funny, the last band I was in was a Blues band that had been around when I hired in with them. I had several people come up and tell me how great the rythm section sounded with me playin guitar for them. It never crossed my mind that I would have that big of an influence on the rythm section. The drummer and I would get these really syncopated vibes goin, usually instigated by myself, and we'd just groove up the songs. It was great fun, wish it woulda lasted a little longer, I miss jammin with that drummer.

I really haven't been influenced too much by other instruments, I really enjoy a good B3 player but can't say that I've ever actually tried to cop licks from them though. What can I say, I love jammin with a good sax player, or keyboard player, or anyone good at their instrument for that matter, but the guitar says everything I want to say.

Originally posted by Tedster:

Chip says...

>>>Claude Monet

So you're a Monet freak too? My oldest son visited Monet's garden when he was in France last year.

A room mate of mine is going there this summer to paint, the bastard...

The highlight of 2000 for me was seeing the travelling French impressionism exhibit at the High museum in Atlanta: genius captured visually has a ridiculously powerful impact when seen in person, not distorted through the "low bit rate" of offset printing.... There's a Monet at the UF museum in Gainesville Florida as well, but that's a given everytime I visit there, so....

What is the musical equivalent of Impressionism? They had their philosophy together: although they had the technical goods to paint realistically, they turned their back on that to create something more visually selfish and fresh. Interesting notion IMO.

Originally posted by Chip McDonald:

What is the musical equivalent of Impressionism?

Music had it's own impressionism a little while after the visual impressionism. Guys like Debussy and Ravel primarily. They used a lot of parallel moving dominant chords, whole tone scales, modes, and open time feels to get their impressions across.

On the rock end of things, bands like sonic youth might be labeled impressionistic in their "wall of sound" approach, but it might be better to liken them more toward expressionism which basically did the same thing, but in a very primal, aggressive sort of way.

~clockwirk~

Early on, I was influenced by a lot of classical and jazz stuff. Miles, Trane, etc., are still big for me.

For the last several years, I've been WAAAYY into Central Asian music, especially Khoomei, or Throat-Singing, which I perform and teach. Not familiar? Here are mp3s of tunes by my pals/teachers Huun-Huur-Tu, master instrumentalists and khoomei singers from Tuva. I can guarantee that most of you have never heard anything like it.

http://www.atech.org/khoomei/hht/

Enjoy,

Steve Sklar/Big Sky

Originally posted by clockwirk:

Music had it's own impressionism a little while after the visual impressionism. Guys like Debussy and Ravel primarily. They used a lot of parallel moving dominant chords, whole tone scales, modes, and open time feels to get their impressions across.

Not the same IMO. Mussoursky's "Pictures at an Exhibition" is great, but I don't think it's an equivalent... Hmmm.. Maybe DeBussy, I dunno... Maybe certain specific pieces.

I'd equate it more to certain things Holdsworth does, maybe A. Copeland, some new age artists.

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

Well, I am primarily influenced by DRUMMERS.

I worked for many years with a great drummer named Robb Byron. (I still remain best of friends with him, even though we live in different parts of the country.) Anyway, we did a lot of writing together, and his drumming sparked great ideas with me. Now, a lot of my writing starts by coming up with a cool "Byron-esque" drum groove and then building off of it. Whenever I'm programming a beat (yes, Lee, I know you HATE drum machines) I always try to imagine what Robb would have played.

Scott

(just another cantankerous bastard)

Primary influences?

Any professional. In any trade or vocation.

I mean, come on, we're all musicians. We've all met the wankers, or heard about them, or read about them.

I dig the pros. You know. The guy (or gal) that shows up, on time ready to do their best, with no attitude or agenda. Just wanting to get the job done right, being a house painter or the guitarist trying to nail those changes in the next four measures.

When you've spent any time with a craftsman, you learn to appreciate it.

No matter what IT is.

Steve

P.S. Hate to say it, but I've not met many 'professional' drummers! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/tongue.gif

my playing is influenced strongly by everything but guitar! i'm constantly trying to make my guitar sound and mimic pianos, harps, drums, bass, horns vocals, violins, cellos, and wierd electronic stuff. no not with midi just with technique. i'm influenced by tons of classical pieces, but any thing can influence my music, form a painting, a poem, a girl, to the way a light flashing in the distance at night catches my attention. or even the sound of a printer forcing out more then it can handle... it's all music to me. like a painter who specializes with a brush, i use the guitar as a tool for my music, and the electric guitar is capable of so many possibilties.

Archived