Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Johnny Thunders R.I. P.

D. Gauss

yesterday was the 10 year anniversary of the death of rock's 2nd most famous junkie guitar player, Johnny Thunders (new york dolls, heartbreakers). great player? umm, no. influential? beyond belief. great musical taste, style, and a healthy "fuck you" new york city attitude. he's to ya johnny, wherever you are.....

-d. gauss

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Tedster:

Was just watching a VH1 piece on the origins of punk that had a nice little bit on the Dolls.

I saw that special too. Some very cool stuff in there!

jef5f,

ah, yes, who indeed. in a land of minimal radio playlists, boy/girl bands and corporate rock its sometimes hard to see the forest for the trees. let's put it this way to start.... no johnny thunders = no replacements, no goo goo dolls, no REM, no green day, no blink 182, no 80's hair bands, and no ronnie spector comeback record.....

-d. gauss

Wow!! All that was Johnny's fault!! I myself owe a great debt of gratitude to Johnny for influencing my style,(or lack thereof). Got to see him in the early 80's in a little sh*t-hole in Hillside NJ called Englanders. Two night stand. Night one he and Walter,(Lure) managed to actually get through a song or two. Night two he passed out in the bathroom and his manager dragged him out onto the stage, slapped the sh*t out of him and commanded: "PLAY!". Which he did albeit not very well....Cheers...Cristofe

Ya know I saw a punk band last night at CB's and the guitarist was slightly out of tune the whole show, which actually kinda worked for what they were doing. They of course ended their set with a Doll's cover!

• 1 month later...
I saw a play last year about Johnny Thunders called "So Alone". The play chronicled his life from the beginning of the Dolls until his untimely death. It was very good. Didn't know much about him before that, even though I had the first NY Dolls album on CD. Afterward I went out and picked up his solo CD "So Alone".

<<"So Alone">>

a veritable who's who record.(as long as who=junkie) phil lynott, steve marriot, chrissie hynde and many more. plus steve lillywhite produced it.

you can't put your arms around a memory......

-d. gauss

Archived