Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Acoustic guitar effects and toys

LiveMusic

Is this blasphemy or what? I was wondering what you could do to spice up acoustic play. First I was thinking "That's ridiculous." Then I thought of chorus; that's an effect. Then I though of the Boomerang phrase sampler. (I want one.) I'm not up on this kind of stuff. What are some other things you can buy to vary the sound?

Hey, this would be cool. A whammy bar on an acoustic. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Live Music,

Believe it or not, a few years ago I played a prototype acoustic (built for me) which indeed had a tremelo arm/vibrato bar/whammy bar. It was intruiging, but failed to really capture my interest beyond the "gimmick phase". I thought some of the faux-Hawiian slides you could perform were pretty cool - but the tone of the guitar itself was poor.

Overhyped compression is always a good trick to liven up a boring acoustic guitar sound (you can approximate that Satisfaction sound that way I suppose.)

Curiously, chorus has the effect of thinning out the sound of the acoustic guitar - especially when double or multi-tracked.

You could try some slide and reverse echo or reverb - I like that sound on acoustic.

Just some thoughts...

Ian

Ian, those effects you mentioned... you talking about achieving those through amp settings or pedals or what? I don't know much about things like this.

I have a Fender Acoustsonic Junior amp. It has chorus and reverb settings.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

You can buy any number of compressor pedals (I have the imfamous blue Boss pedal - let me go and check what it's called - CS-3).

Likewise you can buy Reverb/Delay pedals (although usually more expensive) which include reverse reverb/delay settings.

You can also buy (yet more expensive) rackmounted versions of the same.

The chorus can give a nice swirling, pseudo-12-string effect (esp. in stereo). Try it. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Ian

Ian, when you say "stereo," is this achieved by going out through two amps? I hear a lot of musicians brag "Yeah, I'm stereo" and I assume they're going out through an amp on each side of the stage.

Last night, the best guitarist that I've ever seen locally (maybe forever)... I've heard him about five times now... he achieves this incredibly clean sound. His band plays rockabilly / oldies / rock / country. Man, this guy is downright incredible. But his sound... this hasn't anything to do with my acoustic question... but it has to do with stereo. I need to ask this guy what he feels is his secret to his sound... but it's freakin' pristine. He plays a Gretsch... the one that Brian Setzer plays. Man, this guy smokes. And the sound... ahhhhh. (He told me he's stereo.)

------------------

Duke

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Originally posted by LiveMusic:

Ian, when you say "stereo," is this achieved by going out through two amps?

Yes. Or else through one stereo amp (like a Roland Jazz Chorus, for example). There are lots of stereo amps available these days. FWIW, I play live with a stereo rig. Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp --> TC Electronic 2290 --> Lexicon Reverb --> Mesa Boogie stereo 2:90 power amp. I use my mono pedals (Wah-Wah, compressor etc.) in line before the preamp.

HTH,

Ian

Here's a fun one. Instead of chorus, buy yourself a Danelectro Hashbrowns mini-pedal. (I think the Hashbrowns is the flanger. I own one, but my gear is stowed right now.) This flanger sounds GREAT on my acoustic. I don't go for really wild flange, just a touch. The best part, the pedal costs under $50! They have a whole selection, some are good, others are REAL DOGS. So ask around or try 'em out first if you can. I've also used a cheap Radio shack mixer to feed my amp, in order to split my signal to chorus or flange on one channel, and delay on another. It adds some texture to use dry signal into the delay. (Doesn't get garbled as quickly.)

Neil

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Great question! I don't know if this example will help, but here it is.

Spin a coin. When it falls over, but is still spinning, that sounds like flanging. Whereas chorus sounds like doubling, tripling, etc. the signal, and phasing sounds like you're adding white noise with modulation, flanging sounds like you're adding a modulated peak. When the regeneration is high, the warbling peak sounds like a whine.

Let me know if only I know what I'm talking about, or if this is subjectively accurate to anyone else.

Of course, get thee to a music store, Live, and listen to the differences.

A listen is worth not having to decipher my intent in that description!

Neil

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Duke:

Imagine you've just recorded a guitar track onto a reel of analog tape. Now imagine the engineer playing back the tape and putting his finger on the flange - the edge of the reel - so that it causes the tape to slow down ever so slightly, causing a "warbling" or warping effect. Then letting go so that the tape speeds back up to normal speed. Imagine this engineer doing this over and over in time to the tempo of the song. That is what a flanger sounds like and that is how the sound was invented. I gather that it was an accident at first.

--Lee

Guess I'm a little different...why would you really want to change

the sound of a good acoustic going DI into a PA??

I've found that the pure acoustic sound is very pleasing to the crowd

and if I need to add some more texture I pick up my electrics

laters

Actually Grumpy, while I agree there are few things as fine as a splendid acoustic guitar, I enjoy the change in timbre sometimes. For one thing, playing solo almost begs for some contrast in timbre from song to song. The attack of an acoustic, mic'd or direct, is very different from a clean electric, too. But by all means enjoy the purist tones of your guitar. Absolutely nothing wrong with that! (No batteries or electrical cords either!)

Neil

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

>>Imagine you've just recorded a guitar track onto a reel of analog tape. Now imagine the engineer playing back the tape and putting his finger on the flange - the edge of the reel - so that it causes the tape to slow down ever so slightly, causing a "warbling" or warping effect. Then letting go so that the tape speeds back up to normal speed. Imagine this engineer doing this over and over in time to the tempo of the song. That is what a flanger sounds like and that is how the sound was invented. I gather that it was an accident at first.

Actually, it is doing that flange thing against a constant source...two reel-to-reels...one having the flange played with. Causes the "phase shift" sound...

Itchykoo Park by The Small Faces is a classic example. You can get some cool parts on a DAW by copying a track (say backing vocals) to the next track and moving 'em over just a bare hair...not enough to get a slap echo...you'll get that "jet plane flying overhead" sound of flanging...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

You need to start with a good signal, either

from an on-board pre-amp, or outboard pre-amp,

using a transducer pickup or blender, whichever,

your effects downstream need something quality

to work with. I like the Boss AD-3 acoustic

pre-amp, driven by a Martin thinline passive

transducer pickup. The AD-3 has a nice reverb,

and footswitch to a nice chorus, both adjustable.

Also controls for hard/soft sound. The effects

should be used sparingly, or your sound gets

mushy. I run reverb and chorus at about #4 on a

10-scale. I've also tried a wah pedal after the

pre-amp, but I'm not totally satisfied with it.

It's OK if you run the pre-amp clean, or just a

slight reverb. For some really cool effects, put

a Nanoverb in-line after the pre-amp, and experiment

with the different effects and the effect level

settings. Very interesting. Regards, >Bob Wood<

Plug into a Dano Bacon-n-Eggs mini amp, and mic the amp and the guitar.

Try different strings, use different gauge picks, use different mic placements, try a chorus, tremelo, phase shifter, flanger, try slide, eat onions, don't buy internet stock, kiss your wife flat on the mouth, play different styles, player harder, player softer, run a mile, jump a creek, read the New York Times.

ie., try different things and ways in your playing and play off your your everyday or non-everyday life experiences. Experiement, experiement, experiment.

Psalm 33:3

The best instrument you have, is your heart.

Archived