Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Songs that make you want to PUKE

LiveMusic

Its easy to see that you guys are guitar players not vocalists. If you grew up in NYC during the early 60s like I did, The Four Seasons would be in your heart forever.Now as far as the most sickening songs ever. Bobby Goldsboro's See The Tree or Watching Scotty Grow. Now thats funny.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tedster! I still do that bit in my solo gigs!

D.G. You just nailed the stupid mistakes thread answer that I wouldn't answer... Just sub several bales of other dirty green stuff for the money, add a private party with the band and half of NMU at Marquette Mi. and you've got the recipe for why I changed my major from music to mech. engineering...... and ran south . tuen on da wadio....... Hehehe. Too funny!

Rick

Originally posted by Chip McDonald:

The funniest thing though, is any footage of Dennis "Nigel" DeYoung live....

"Top Secret", Chip? Or did I not get the joke?

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Rick wrote...

>>>NMU at Marquette Mi. and you've got the recipe for why I changed my major from music to mech. engineering

Aha! So you majored in engineering at NMU. I was at St. Clair Co. Community College in Port Huron working on my Calc and Physics before going to Florida State for my Meteorology degree. Most of the St. Clair Co. class ended up going up north for engineering.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Rod CA:

"Top Secret", Chip? Or did I not get the joke?

No, I think I scrambled the guys name... The blond haired guitar player with the mustache, who wears the satin kimono looking outfits while *constantly* making Nigel Tufnel faces. I saw a live show of theirs on television about a year ago... almost flipped the channel, but the guy was just soooooo over the top with the Rock Star poses, and he had every pursed lip facial expression imaginable. The only thing that kept running through my mind was "Hey dude.... dooood.... dude, hey.... dude! Doood.... hey man, like, dude... dude....". The faces Nigel makes while playing the during "Tonight We're Going to Rock You, Tonight", for instance.

With the sound turned off it was kind of funny....

ASIDE:

Why mustm my brain get me into trouble like this? I apologize to Styx fans, I like some of what they've done...

ASIDE PT. DEUX:

Hmmm. What is the origin of the word "dude"? Anyone? My mind has forced me to type this question out of insatiable curiousity....

http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Chip...

Origins of the word "dude"...as far as I know...out west they had (still have in some areas) ranches where "city slickers", inexperienced folks, can go and learn to live like cowboys...just for the fun of it. These are called "dude ranches"...indicating a "dude" is someone who's inexperienced, a greenhorn, and doesn't really belong. Sort of a put-down, in a humorous way. Just like the phrase "Get all duded up"...like you might hear of a cowboy putting on city slicker finery to go out with Miss Kitty for the evening. I guess gradually it took on a meaning as any guy...with the original meaning being lost.

Since this thread is still going, let me add another hurlmaster - Kenny G. I'm amazed at how someone can nauseate me with instrumentals. I guess that makes Kenny G. "expressive". I gotta admit that his circular breathing technique is cool. Other than that, gag me with a reed........

I be sangin'...Enema U! My Enema U!...... Ain't it amazin', how so many artsy folks end up in the sciences?

We ain't right brained, We ain't left brained. We're____________________!

Fill in the dots Tedster....

Rick

Originally posted by Tedster:

Chip...

Origins of the word "dude"...as far as I know...out west they had (still have in some areas) ranches where "city slickers", inexperienced folks, can go and learn to live like cowboys...just for the fun of it.

Yeah, I know that, I mean the original derivative....

OK, to boost my postings count, I,too, shall offer my not so humble (or in these cases, hummable) opinion on this highly personal & inflamatory topic.

#1-the well intentioned, but gratingly intonated, slide solo in Lynerd Skynerd's "Free Bird".

#2- the current "smash" http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif by Papa Roach--- I can't recall the name, but you've all heard it : 4 guitar notes repeated ad nausem & lyrics like "tear my life into pieces/this is my last resort" basically it takes us (I guess) into the dying moments of a Raid/Black Flag victim.

------------------

I don't think (personally mind you) of songs like "Free Bird" as ones that make me want to puke, but rather, songs I'm just plain flat out sick of hearing. The songs, taken in their original context, are fine. I loved 'em the first ten thousand times I heard 'em.

Originally posted by Tedster:

I don't think (personally mind you) of songs like "Free Bird" as ones that make me want to puke, but rather, songs I'm just plain flat out sick of hearing. The songs, taken in their original context, are fine. I loved 'em the first ten thousand times I heard 'em.

Ted

Yep that about sums it up... even Starships 'We built this city' was non barf material up until we'd heard it 30 zillion times.... It seems radio just has this thang where it needs to play the shit outta a good tune and turn it into puke through over exposure!!

Simon http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

...remember there is absolutely no point in talking about someone behind their back unless they get to hear about it...

Yeah, I know that, I mean the original derivative....

From Victorian England, from the word "dud", as in "duds", fancy clothing.

My favorite slang expression, often used in California, is the very poetic "I'm stoked". I can see the the steam train roaring along, the stoker shoveling coal madly.

-CB

Originally posted by nrg music:

even Starships 'We built this city' was non barf material up until we'd heard it 30 zillion times....

Nope....barf material on spin number one, if for no other reason than the transformation of Jefferson Airplane to Starship, resulting in the corporate rock, sellout sound of that song. It's like eating a pound of frosting. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/frown.gif

~clockwirk~

Originally posted by clockwirk:

Nope....barf material on spin number one, if for no other reason than the transformation of Jefferson Airplane to Starship, resulting in the corporate rock, sellout sound of that song. It's like eating a pound of frosting. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/frown.gif

I would agree that the transformation of Jefferson Airplane to Starship was not one that sat with me particularly well either!! However as with all songs if you ignore the sell out and the whole glam rock thing it was still a bloody good song imho!!

Simon

...remember there is absolutely no point in talking about someone behind their back unless they get to hear about it...

Ted

Yep that about sums it up... even Starships 'We built this city' was non barf material up until we'd heard it 30 zillion times)

Uhg.. makes me nauseous thinking about it...

"We built this city on rock and roll"??? arhghgg..... it's like a lyric from an alternate hippy dippy puppet show universe.... uhghhhh... ooooompffffff

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: ]www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

"We built this city on rock and roll"??? arhghgg..... it's like a lyric from an alternate hippy dippy puppet show universe.... uhghhhh... ooooompffffff

that's what I'M talking 'bout

~clockwirk~

Uhg.. makes me nauseous thinking about it...

Chip

I'm sorry to say it but the bottom line is that this song and I stress song, sold millions of copies around the world... and for me I'd rather be a part of that than turn out tunes that no-one wants to hear or buy...

Sorry about that http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/eek.gif

Simon

I'm sorry to say it but the bottom line is that this song and I stress song, sold millions of copies around the world...

That's the thing, though: for something that sold SOOOO many copies, why is it I've never met anyone who likes it? I've never encountered a Jefferson Starship fan; HOWEVER -

I *have* met a number of Craig Chaquito fans, at least a dozen or so, from all walks of life, non-musicians. *None* of them (because I was curious and asked) knew he was in Jefferson Starship - and a lot didn't even know who the group was, despite being older than me and having lived through that single's popularity....

RECORDINGS I *DO* KNOW POSITIVELY SOLD A LOT TO HUMANS:

Eagles Greatest Hits

Tom Petty Greatest Hits

Metallica's Black album

Garth Brooks Greatest Hits

Beastie Boys License to Ill

Nirvana Nevermind

Outside of that.... I'm not sure. I'm sure it sold a lot; I've just never met someone who either had the record or listens to them. Regardless, I wouldn't mind never hearing it again.

BTW, Simon: someone wants to hear it and does buy it, sorry.

This message has been edited by Chip McDonald on 05-14-2001 at 12:55 AM

As an old timer, past 40, I gotta say that sell outs aint always what they seem.Some artists return to their roots as they age. aka.Fogelberg. Some stay in the walls that they built for themselves,aka,Taylor. Some try to meet the masses in their place of gathering. Airplanes did change over time to become spaceships. Clapton went thru the cocaine thang,The Stones came closer to disco than even that! I'd vote with Simon on the Starship issue. I don't think anybody thought of that song as anything but a fun tune. The only world they intended to change was their own, via a transfusion of loadsa-do! But, they did not pretend to be after anything else so.....

I love my wifes' chicken Marsala, but if I had to eat eat several times a day for a year or so...it'd make the hurl list too!

I'm sorry to say it but the bottom line is that this song and I stress song, sold millions of copies around the world... and for me I'd rather be a part of that than turn out tunes that no-one wants to hear or buy...

Sorry about that http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/eek.gif

Simon

But all of the songs on this thread were enjoyed at one time or another by millions of people. Doesn't mean we have to like 'em.

I still think if you took away the conformity of the band and the over production of the music, you still have a pretty lousy song. "we built this city...yeah!! awright!! we built it on rock and roll!! rock on!! (sounds of high fives being slapped all around)...." http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

I think it's kind of funny that they were singing about L.A. being built by the commercial success of rock music while trying to make some fat cash off of their own newly found commerciality (is that a word?).

~clockwirk~

Wow.....anything I post is sure to get flamed!!!! hahahaha!!! Yeah there are few art rock bands I cared for with the exception of Peter Gabriel era Genesis. I saw them on "In Concert" and they were pretty intense. Knock three times on the Ceiling, Crimson and Clover, any BTO song, Eliminator era ZZTop, any 70's or 80's bubblegum, Van Halen.....sorry you EVH fans, any spandex rock, and just about everything on MTV. There is alot of stuff I don't care for, so don't be offended if I think your fave sucks, just a personal preference. Oh I forgot to add Peter Frampton.....I realize alot of "fans" love him.....I just can't stand the "ALIVE" album......it reeks of bubblegum, even if he's a great guitar player.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

That's the thing, though: for something that sold SOOOO many copies, why is it I've never met anyone who likes it? I've never encountered a Jefferson Starship fan; HOWEVER -

I *have* met a number of Craig Chaquito fans, at least a dozen or so, from all walks of life, non-musicians. *None* of them (because I was curious and asked) knew he was in Jefferson Starship - and a lot didn't even know who the group was, despite being older than me and having lived through that single's popularity....

RECORDINGS I *DO* KNOW POSITIVELY SOLD A LOT TO HUMANS:

Eagles Greatest Hits

Tom Petty Greatest Hits

Metallica's Black album

Garth Brooks Greatest Hits

Beastie Boys License to Ill

Nirvana Nevermind

Outside of that.... I'm not sure. I'm sure it sold a lot; I've just never met someone who either had the record or listens to them. Regardless, I wouldn't mind never hearing it again.

BTW, Simon: someone wants to hear it and does buy it, sorry.

This message has been edited by Chip McDonald on 05-14-2001 at 12:55 AM

Hey Chip

My post was not a personal attack against you, merely my attitude to commercial music http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif... I have a huge regard for people who can write and get released material of a non commercial vein!! The thing is I like good commercial songs equally if not more than the more 'arty' kinda stuff.... Just my opinion, I like to make money from my songs and I like people to buy my albums, for without that commercial success I would not be able to continue to make them.... It is my living but and a big but I meant no disrespect.

Simon

The chorus to "Are you reeling in the years". Waaaaarrrrgggh!

Rush's Tom Sawyer

Pump up the Jam

Anything by Mariah Carey

the "Let it roll, baby roll" song by the Doors

Fleetwood Mac ( I just don't get it, really I don't)

last year's "She's so hiiiiiiiiiigh, high above me"

oh yeah that one is the worst

oh no wait

"I want it that way" by The Backstreet Sync or something.

This is too depressing I'm out

Emile

<>

funny taht this stupid tune got some many posts. anybody ever heard the original version? some songwriter guy sold it to the ships' producer. very well produced and it has this new wave psuedo devo feel to it! we are devo...we built this city....now whip it good...

-d. gauss

Originally posted by jef5f:

Anything by Bob Dylan or the Rolling Stones.

This is great! I love Bob Dylan. Yet we all get along.

On the " Built this city" I have very clear souvenir of me on my bed (being 12 at the time!) listening to that song over and over with headphones. I didn't really understand English back then. I can totally understand how kids would love stuff I'd hate now.

Emile

Archived