Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How to never forget lyrics during a performance

LiveMusic

I wish I knew! Trying to build this solo act from scratch... man, I don't know how I can pull this off for memorizing, say, 100 songs. Heck, even 50. Even if I could play every one of them perfectly, just memorizing them will take forever. So, how 'bout this?

There oughta be a way to pipe in the lyrics and music through a computer screen or something. I could use it until I memorized them. Or I might keep it forever. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif A poster to another thread said he used a music stand and fake sheets on all his songs because his playlist is 500 songs.

I guess I could do that. But a scrolling screen, that would be cool. I wouldn't have to flip any pages. So, what type of technology would do this?

My PSR740 Yamaha keyboard... I think it might do just this. But it might be hard to read. I don't know how to do it yet.

Ideally, I'd put the songs together with my personal tab and the lyrics and it would scroll down the screen as I play.

Duke

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A solo gig requires more personality than memory.(at least for me)100 songs is between 6 and 7 hours of material. A lap top containing your list/lyrics could be set alongside you for those do you know? thangs... But your gonna find yourself talking alot... Use the time to feel the crowd, read the crowd, then play the crowd. 4 hour set,(4x45 min)=180 minutes -yak time = 160 minutes , divided by avg song length with intro(4 inu.)=40 songs a night. mix match another 20 and you'll much loved!

Well, if you did want to have a computer "teleprompter" onstage, you could probably program it to change with the setlist...just hit something. I use a cheat sheet book on a music stand, too. After awhile, you don't have to look at it so much, but it's very comforting. I've given up on trying to memorize lyrics...
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

When I said 100 songs, I didn't mean for one gig. I meant at least that many to mix it up some. I figured 12 per hour x 4 hour gig = 3 hours of play x 12 = 36 songs per gig. If I know 100 songs, that provides variety. The bands I watch, most of them do not use cheat sheets. Some do, but most don't. I don't know how they do it. Of course, it could be that I watch nothing but old farts. And they've done it forever.

Edit: I just thought of something... karaoke technology. Karaoke players... they do exactly what I'm talking about. They scroll the lyrics so the singer can read then. I can't remember... they either scroll them or they refresh the screen when it's time to turn the page. Either way, it's absolutely identical to what I described.

Karaoke operators... to my knowledge, they buy CDs with the lyrics already on them. I would need a way to input the lyrics (and the chords while I'm at it) and burn the CD.

This message has been edited by LiveMusic on 04-04-2001 at 11:00 PM

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

If you draw a blank, just grab the mic, point it out at the audience, and put a hand behind your ear... They'll think you're asking them to sing along!

guitplayer

LiveMusic... I'm not so sure you should have a karaoke machine at your live show... unless you're looking to bring 'em on up there with you...

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

You can always bring printed lyric sheets to the gig and have them handy in case of emergency. Hopefully, you'll know most of the tunes by memory. But for those that are less familiar, you can tape the lyrics on a monitor or put them on a music stand and keep that on stage.

Here's what I do:

I have an accordion file, with a separate tab for each letter of the alphabet. All my cheat sheets are in there (some are just lyrics, some chords, too.) At the beginning of a set, I pull out the ones I know I might do and put them on the music stand. If someone requests a song, and I have a cheater for it, then I can find it really quickly.

Yes, I use a music stand. It also acts as a table onto which I can put my capo, tuner, picks, cloth, set list, etc. Some may consider using a music stand to be somehow bogus, or cheating. I don't care. (Remember the old joke: how do get a guitarist to stop playing? Put some sheet music in front of 'em.) I'm a musician; therefore, I use a music stand. I also use a tuner. Would the audience prefer I stand there and audibly tune? Is it really any different for them to watch me stumble and mumble over the second verse because I'm "too good" or "too cool" to use a music stand?

The key is not to read from the music stand. Glance at it between lines, and look out at the crowd while you sing the line.

Good points, Eric...

Duke wrote:

>>The bands I watch, most of them do not use cheat sheets. Some do, but most don't. I don't know how they do it. Of course, it could be that I watch nothing but old farts. And they've done it forever.

If you're trying to constantly update your songlist (which I would characterize a fundamental duty of the gigging musician)...memorizing songs IMHO adds a bit of time to the process during which you can have the song ready. Using a cheat sheet for me means we can learn the song at rehearsal, and have it ready to go at tomorrow night's gig. And in some cases, several songs. I could sit there and spend every waking hour running over lines like a soap opera actor, but I don't have that kind of time. If I was a full time gigger rather than a weekend warrior it'd be different.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Archived