Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Well, LiveMusic...

Tedster

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, I've enjoyed it thoroughly. Now I'm searching for a smoke machine, fog machine, whatever you call it... and some lights. It's gonna be one helluva one-man show. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

On a serious note... I dunno if this electric geetar business is for me. I don't really like it. Of course, I have no damn clue what I'm doing with it. All I've ever done is chords and arpeggios and little melodic fills. A lead geetar player, I'm not. I'd much rather bang on an acoustic. Especially this new TAYLOR I just bought -- SWEET! I realize everything takes time but I'm not so sure a Strat's for me. Of course, I'm trying to do everything, like, yesterday. Half the problem is trying to figure out WHAT to practice.

And piano... ugh. Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star. I'm pretty much starting from scratch. Heck, I wanna play Jerry Lee and Bruce Hornsby and Mickey Gilley and...

And then there's the keyboard. Midi, sequences, repeaters, voicings, tracks... hell, I'm lost. You gotta be an engineer to run one of these things? Musically inclined people... how the heck do they twist all these knobs right and stuff? I figured those types are like left brain, right brain conflicts. This is VERY overwhelming.

And then there's harmonica. Gotta play some Neil Young.

And drums. Or drum machines. Ugh. More electronics. I've even considered real bongos... no wires and knobs.

And lyrics. I don't know how I'm gonna learn all these songs once I settle on a setlist.

But I think I can do it. (Create an act.) If I have any talent whatsoever, it's creativity. I can come up with some pretty crafty ideas. If nothing else, I could just work it up for acoustic guitar. Stuff like John Cougar Mellencamp, Brian Adams, Matchbox Twenty, Shawn Mullins, Beatles, some country stuff, some blues stuff like Clapton. And then work in the keyboard stuff in, say, a year from now.

One thing I will say is that I have very much enjoyed trying to build a setlist. I have listened to God knows how many songs lately. Gotta be thousands over the past several months. I flipflop between rock radio, pop, classic rock, country, oldies. It's been quite interesting to work through all of this. One thing, I am assembling my all-time list of songs that _I_ like. There's a bunch!

I even looked into an MP3 deal today that holds 5,000 songs. Of course, I don't know how anybody could afford it. Unless some site comes up with unlimited downloads for a reasonable monthly fee. Then again, I don't need 5,000 songs to listen to.

I take notes everywhere I go. If I hear a song I like, I pull out my trusty 3x5 card from my back pocket and write down a few code words about what I think about it or an idea I have about working it up.

I'll say this. I do NOT like radio NOT giving the name of the artist and song. Some stations NEVER do it. I think it's a sad state for the musicians. How do people find out about them? This is a subject I've intended to create a post on but just haven't done it.

Anyway, thanks to all for the input. I have come to respect musicians even more than I ever have. Wow, some people are really talented. I stay in a state of awe.

Someday, I'll make you proud, I promise. Smoke machines or not. Thanks again for your help.

And... my name is Duke.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

>>I'll say this. I do NOT like radio NOT giving the name of the artist and song. Some stations NEVER do it. I think it's a sad state for the musicians. How do people find out about them? This is a subject I've intended to create a post on but just haven't done it.

Well, Duke, or should I say "Wa-ha, pilgrim"...uh, never mind, my John Wayne impersonation sucks... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif you've hit the nail square on top of the head here. Radio has been pissing me off a lot longer than I care to remember with that stupid stunt. And, it seems that they'll announce the obvious ones, Beatles, Elton John, Elvis, like "no shit, REAAALLY?" but not do that for the ones you want to know. Sometimes watching videos helps. So does having teenage kids..."Who DOES that song?" and they ALWAYS seem to know. Don't know how, 'cause their stations are the worst.

Seems like you're laying all the right ground work. But, despite all the preparation, it's still an evolutionary process. You'll learn a song that you figure everyone will love, and get a lukewarm response. Then you'll pull something unexpected out and the audience will love it.

I wouldn't worry about burying myself in midi-this-sequence-that. Have Taylor, will gig. Taylor 'n you, a small portable PA system. Don't worry about cheat sheets for the vocals. I'd focus on learning the songs, and getting the gigs. Keep it simple. And a lot of that is best done on the job. Sure, practice until you know everything well, and it will STILL go out the window the minute you get up in front of a crowd. So, practice thoroughly at home, but be prepared for a new learning experience in front of the crowd.

What I'd do...get about 5 to 10 songs that you know best, and go to an acoustic open-mic night. You'll probably get to play about three of 'em. That's fine. Keep going back every week with a different three songs or so. Listen to the crowd. Listen to what the other acts are doing, what goes over and what sinks. The cool think about this is that all you'll need is your guitar, you'll be using the host's PA. Once you get comfy with that, hit the local coffeehouses for a whole night. You won't get paid much except tips probably, but exposure and practice playing in front of a crowd is what you're after. Once you get comfy with that, then you can start thinking midi-this etc...or, perhaps there are some paying clubs that you can get into on off nights...."Friday and Saturday, the Big Time Band...Wednesday, sing along with Duke on acoustic" (Oh yeah, don't ignore the singalong factor in solo gigs...we used to do songs like "Piano Man" and "Black Water" 'cause everyone would be drinking and singing like in a Munich biergarten).

Like I say, don't be afraid to use cheat sheets. Organize 'em so you can find 'em quick. There are mic clip-on music stands you can use, too. Better to have a sheet than to blow the line in front of a crowd, and that happens all too often once the crowd "nervous factor" sets in.

Just keep us posted. And welcome to the party!

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by LiveMusic:

I'll say this. I do NOT like radio NOT giving the name of the artist and song. Some stations NEVER do it. I think it's a sad state for the musicians. How do people find out about them? This is a subject I've intended to create a post on but just haven't done it.

GRRRRRRRRR!!!

I hate when they (don't) do that. And not all songs have video...

Duke, when you move to midiland, you can find midi songs on net...loads of 'em... It's much easier than writing them (composing ao whatever) by yourself... Been there, done that, thank you very much...

The problem is that it takes lot of time and energy and after few days you end with four songs http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/frown.gif

But that headbangin' is yet to come... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

If it sounds god, just play the darn thing

Archived