Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your formula for "chunka-chunka" rhythm guitar?

Sir Bob

While listening to the radio today, I heard a couple of songs with a strong "chunka'chunka" rhythm guitar sound. You know, "I Won't Back Down" by Tom Petty.

I was wondering if you have some secrets. I suppose just cranking the amp, palming the guitar strings and playing the bottow two strings is all it takes. I wonder if anyone puts foam under the strings like the P-Bass sound?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Palm muting is definately the key.

Also, dialing in the right amount of distortion is important. Too much, and you lose definition. Not enough, and "No Chunka Factor"

I also like playing around with a short, small room reverb, or short delay. Maybe around 30 or 40ms.

Your Chunka-Chunka may vary...

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

Khan Wrote:

------------

Palm muting is definately the key.

Also, dialing in the right amount of distortion is important. Too much, and you lose definition. Not enough, and "No Chunka Factor"

------------

IMHO Khan is quite correct palm muting and the correct amount of distortion are the key factors to a good Chunka factor.... Do watch the distortion factor it is critical! I have always found a fender tele to be purrrfect for chunking it has a good bright tone and you can get an excellent "chip" outta it. Small rooms and a 30/60ms delay also help fatten up the sound and perhaps a little boost in the mids.

Keep on chunking!!

Simon http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

...remember there is absolutely no point in talking about someone behind their back unless they get to hear about it...

>>No Chunka Factor

Either this would be a great name for a wimpy band or a great name for creamy peanut butter.

I find that the cab influences chunka factor as well. When I used to have my half stack, there was a high chunka factor. Now, with a 1x12 open back combo, the chunka factor ain't quite there as much.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

>>>Either this would be a great name for a wimpy band or a great name for creamy peanut butter.

=============

Or a Zappa Tribute...

..........Chunka's Revenge... http://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/s/net4/blu_md_wht.gif

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

Archived