Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Afordable PRS???

Mile

I just found out that PRS decided to make affordable guitars in Korea...

And that's for more than half the price of CE Maple Top...

They should sound good (so they say) because of the supervising'n'stuff...

But can this be true???

If it sounds god, just play the darn thing

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's very true. Carlos Santana wanted Paul to design a "first guitar" for the line, and if it's as good as the company says, it's going to be awesome! Same shape, different name on the headstock, and I believe it's only going to be available in a couple of solid colors. I can't wait to check one out!

Bill Murphy

www.murphonics.com

Yes, the new Santana model is on its way.

I saw a review in one of the British guitar mags. They interviewed PRS about their relationship to the Korean manufacturer. Supposedly they are building these to PRS's specifications with on-site inspection by a PRS staff person to ensure they're high quality. I think the PRS "franchise" is too valuable to risk "cheapo" production quality.

Although this is named the Santana model, it does not include the carved, flamed maple top and other high end features of the Santana model. So, it's not a "Santana model made in Korea", it's a totally new guitar. It does have a McCarty type electronics and covered humbucking pickups. I can't remember which ones... but certainly PRS pickups. The reviewers were pretty excited about the playability of these, and thought the sound was very nice.

There's no question if they keep the quality high, they're going to sell a lot of these guitars. They've been missing a market opportunity by not selling product with prices at this level.

Made in Korea... is this going to scare anyone from these guitars.

guitplayer http://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/s/splarka/as-shape.gifhttp://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/s/splarka/as-pffft.gifhttp://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/s/splarka/as-spin.gif

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Originally posted by guitplayer:

Made in Korea... is this going to scare anyone from these guitars.

Well it's not gonna scare me!!!

I'm waiting in anticipation to get hold on one of those...

What about you guys???

I called PRS and asked for a catalog. A brochure about the new Santana SE was included. Do you want to hear what it says about the guitar?

Of course you do. You have G.A.S. as bad as I do.

They quote Carlos. "This guitar is your first wings. It's assigned and designed to unfold your vision and imagination." this is overlayed on the picture of Carlos with a black SE around his neck with a monster cable pluged into the guitar.

The specs are:

-solid mahogany body and set neck

-25" scale

-Rosewood fingerboard with SE inlays

-Choice of PRS designed tremelo or stoptail bridges

-two powerful humbuckers

-3-way pickup selector, master volume, and tone controls

-choice of four translucent finishes: Vintage Cherry, Royal Blue, Teal and Grey Black.

-complete with Cordura gigbag

The PRS price guide adds, 22 frets, 10"neck radius, and wide fat neck carve.

MSRP:

Are you really ready for this?

Is is less then the MSRP for the Korean Hamer SATF.

Drum roll please!

DRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR crash (cymbals of course)

MSRP is $738

I want the Santana III myself. The same as the regular Santana but without the extra fancy inlays and such. $3700 without the $550 10 top option.

Is there any way to go wrong with a PRS?

NAH!

Happy guitarin.

Psalm 33:3

The best instrument you have, is your heart.

I sent a litle e-mail to PRS about them Making more SE models

Are you guys thinking of making other models available (SE versions)or just Santana model??? I would love to see some other models and even more affordable guitars couse everybody want to own a PRS!!!!

What they said about that???

Here we go:

Thank you for your interest in our guitars. We have no current plans to

produce a different SE model. Thank you for your patience and cooperation

regarding this matter.

Regards,

Jim Cullen

Customer Relations

Paul Reed Smith Guitars

380 Log Canoe Circle

Stevensville, MD 21666

phone (410) 643-9970

fax (410) 643-9980

www.prsguitars.com

Shame on you mr. PRS!!!!!!!

This message has been edited by Mile on 03-15-2001 at 05:19 AM

• 2 weeks later...

The latest Guitar Player issue, May 2001, has the fluff about a number of new products including the new PRS Santana SE. It includes a picture of the guitar, and it's basically the classic PRS shape without the carved top. The good news is that the list price is $738... so with the discounts typical in the industry, the retail price of this should be in the high $500 low $600 range... Pretty cool for a PRS!

It has two covered PRS humbuckers, (they don't say which ones), glued in neck, solid mahogany body, 3-way pickup selector, rosewood fretboard with diaganal abalone inlays, and a single volume and tone control. You can get this with either the stop-tail or PRS tremolo system.

I'll keep my eyes open for them to hit the stores... I have two PRS's now, a Standard 24 and a McCarty... and if the build quality approaches these, PRS is going to have a hit on its hands... If you see one... check it out and let us know what you think.

guitplayer http://cwmonkey.virtualave.net/s/cwm2/eek7.gif

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Archived