Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

More Fingerstyle Improv Etc...

I had to move the location of my "Weekly Improv", mp3.com stopped allowing me to replace the track each week(so far no explanation). In case anyone in this forum was following my weekly adventure it can now be found at:

http://www.ampcast.com/sologuitar

This site is very similar to mp3.com, if you are into uploading your music it's worth checking out.

Jim in Canada

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Jim, GREAT STUFF!! I love flamenco, celtic, classical etc..... solo guitar. I really enjoyed listening to your music, if you've got any cd's available let me know, I'd like to get one.

One question for ya, I've just recently started practicing classical fingerstyle but I'm doing it on a steel stringed acoustic. It works but I really want to get a nylon string classical type guitar, I had a chance to play one recently and fell in love with the tone/playability of these guitars. Could you recommend a brand to try?? I don't know anyone in my area that knows anything about them, you obviously are quit versed in this area. I've heard that there are some differences between classical and flamenco guitars, I'd probably be more interested in the flamenco style action but have no actual experience to back that up, just a feeling.

BTW, the one I played on was a cheap student model so I can't wait to get my hands on a pro model!!

Thanks Stratman, first, info on my CD's, and more of my music:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/jim008/public_html.html

Second; Flamenco guitars differ from classical in that they are made of lighter wood and tend to have lower action. They also feature a "golpeador", a sort of pick-guard thing that prevents the guitar from damage if you use the "golpe" technique, hitting the guitar with the fingers and/or thumb.

I play an electric classical Takemine that works fine for any style in my opinion. A lot of flamenco players will capo the second fret to bring the action down on a classical guitar to get more of the flamenco guitar feel.

As for shopping for a guitar, I would ask a lot of questions at your local music stores and try lots of guitars out. Like steel string acoustics, the top should be solid wood instead of plywood, other than that it is a matter of personal taste.

Jim in Canada

Archived