Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another question. I hope this one isn't out of place...

Infernon

OK. It's me again http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

I really hope this post isn't out of place, but I wanted an expert opinion before I dropped the cash. I'm a beginning player and I've been playing a Squire Strat for the past seven months. I'm looking for another guitar that has a better sound, etc.

I ran across a guy who's selling a Fender Duosonic. I tried researching and found out that they made these things back in the sixties. It really looks like a nice guitar, good condition and everything. He's asking 275.00 for it and I was just curious about whether or not this was a good deal. I'm not able to test out the sound or play it because the dude lives pretty far away. I just want to know if anyone has ever played a Duosonic before, what they play like, how they sound, if they're good for a beginning player, etc. Also, how's the money sound? Thanks again in advance for all of your advice.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this is really a 60's Fender,in good condition for $275 you might want to grab it.(could be worth $$$) But find someone with more experience than yourself to check it out and make sure it is kosher. Also,you might want to consider checking into replacement pickups for your Strat. Some of those Squires are pretty nice when they get the pickups they deserve...

I'm interested to see what Tedster and Lee think about this. They have a good grasp of "The Vintage Thang"

This message has been edited by KHAN on 02-20-2001 at 02:56 PM

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

Not as great as one might imagine, Mr. Khan. I've heard of the Duosonic, but I'm not sure if '60s fits. Seems to me it may have been later. (Ed. note...I was a real bozo on this one...see following posts) You may want to check the Fender Forum (you can access it right off the Fender Page, I think) on this. The web resource is a good one.

Meanwhile, I'll check and get back. Off to Webresearch Land...

This message has been edited by Tedster on 02-20-2001 at 04:22 PM

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

A brief history

In 1956 Fender introduced the Musicmaster and Duo-Sonic guitars as affordable "3/4-size" short-scale student models. As such, they aren't considered as collectible and don't have near the value of Strats and Teles from the same era. The Musicmaster and Duo-Sonic were essentially the same guitar, with the addition of another pickup (in the bridge position) and a toggle switch on the Duo-Sonic. Both models received a slight facelift in 1959, along with all other Fenders. In 1964 the "II" variants (essentially a spinoff of the then-new Mustang), were introduced, and both models were revised and offered in a 24" scale length as well. Now essentially the same as a Mustang but with no vibrato system, the Duo-Sonic was officially discontinued ca. 1969. The Musicmaster was made through 1982, receiving a third facelift ca. 1976. A Mexican-made reissue Duo-Sonic [pic c/o T. Pershing] was released in early 1993, but it was discontinued in early 1998.

Two distant cousins of the original Musicmaster and Duo-Sonic are the Bronco guitar and the Musicmaster bass. In my opinion, these models owe more to the Mustang guitar and bass. The Bronco was introduced in 1967 as a replacement for the Musicmaster and features a single pickup in the bridge position with a new vibrato system. (It never did replace the Musicmaster, though; both were discontinued with the advent of Fender's Squier line in the early '80s.) In the late '60s, Fender introduced the Musicmaster bass, also as a short-scale student model. Both models were produced throughout the '70s.

More recently, Fender revived the Duo-Sonic and Musicmaster names in its Squier line of budget guitars and basses. In late 1997 Fender re-introduced the Musicmaster bass under its Squier "Vista" nameplate. At the 1998 Winter NAMM conference, Harmony Central reported that Fender planned to revive the Musicmaster and Duo-Sonic guitars. They were part of Squier's Chinese-made "Vista" and "Affinity" series of guitars. Unfortunately, the new Musicmaster used the name only (looking more like the Musicmaster bass) and was long-scale with a single humbucker, while the "new" Duo-Sonic was almost identical to the Mexican-made reissue. In 1997 the Fender Cyclone effectively replaced the Mustang in Fender's catalog, but it looks very Duo-Sonic-esque, aside from the bridge humbucker, the Strat-style tremolo, and the 24.75" scale length. Check out the Cyclone Info page at the Jag-Stang Owners Club site for additional info and comments.

Online resources and credits

The information on this site was derived from a variety of sources. For further reading, I recommend:

GGJaguar's Guitarium and Ampeteria has more information on '50s and '60s Musicmasters and Duo-Sonics (see the gallery for direct links), with pictures.

Fellow enthusiast Tim Pershing has contributed to GGJaguar's page (as well as images and technical info to this page), and is enough of an authority on Fender's 3/4 scale guitars to have written a 2-part article published in Twentieth Century Guitar magazine (Dec. 1996/Jan. 1997). The December 1996 issue (with data on models corresponding to the first three galleries listed on this web page) is sold out, but the January issue (with all kinds of date/serial number I.D. info) can still be ordered. An updated version of both articles is now online at http://home.pacbell.net/duosonic/

The Vintage Guitar Info site has some background information (including serial number info) on Duo-Sonics and Fenders in general, plus an extensive bibliography

In many ways, the Duo-Sonic/Musicmaster and the Mustang stories are intertwined. Check out Mr. Maxima's "Unofficial" The Fender Mustang Story to find out just how. (Anyone know what happpened to Mr. Maxima's page?)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who cares about a student guitar?

Jimi Hendrix [far right] backing up the Isley Brothers with his early '60s tan Duo-Sonic.

Somewhere in the USA, 1964. Photo credit: Caesar Glebbeek Collection. Scan c/o T. Pershing.

While it's true that few famous guitar players are regularly seen with a Musicmaster or a Duo-Sonic (even the pawnshop-trash-slinging Kurt Cobain favored Mustangs and Jaguars), there are a few notable people who've used them. It's really difficult for me to imagine Jimi Hendrix as a "guitar student," but he used a Duo-Sonic when he backed up the Isley Brothers in the early 1960s (from Guitar Player, Sept. 1995), and even used one to record with in the mid-'60s. The late Rory Gallagher took advantage of the short scale by tuning his Musicmaster/Duo-Sonic hybrid up a half-step to "F," and the late Stevie Ray Vaughan used to warm up on an old Musicmaster prior to gigs. In the punk arena, Richard Lloyd and Tom Verlaine of Television reportedly used Duo-Sonics ("the obscure .22 Magnum Derringer of the pre-CBS line"), as did Patti Smith. Adrian Belew has recorded with a fretless Musicmaster. More recently, Liz Phair, Dweezil Zappa, the trash-rock combo the Chrome Cranks, and former SNL Band guitarist Yoshiko Hirashige have been spotted brandishing Duo-Sonics and/or Musicmasters. Aside from Hendrix and SRV, the common denominator here might be relatively small hands. Personally speaking, my hands like the feel of guitars with skinny necks, and they don't get much skinnier than this. Plus, the short scale enables me to grab Andy Summers-esque jazz chords without breaking my hand.

Jimi with "shaded sunburst" Duo-Sonic (produced '61 through '63).

Gigging with Curtis Knight & the Squires in New York, late 1965.

Photo credit: Caesar Glebbeek Collection. Scan c/o T. Pershing.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Infernon,if you like the Fender sound, I would reccommend an American Standard Strat. If the pricetag on one of those is a bit high you may be able to find a used oe in the $400-$500 range. If you think your Squire plays well , but just doesn't have the sound, I would still reccommend looking into replacement pickups.

Good Luck.

Thanks again fellas, you guys are really great!!! I really appreciate the research http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif I'll be hanging around and watching the words of wisdom as I normally do, but until next time, peace!

Actually, one more thing...

If I were to go about installing new pickups, could anyone recommend anything (Seymour Duncan?)? Is this something I can do myself, or should I have a professional do it? Thanks again http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

>>>If I were to go about installing new pickups, could anyone recommend anything (Seymour Duncan?)

---------------------

I myself am a Big Duncan Fan,but Fender also sells their own pickups.(SRV Texas Specials,Am.Std,Lace Sensors ,etc) And many players here have expressed many different brands as their favorites.

Try as many Strat type guitars with different pickups as you can(at music stores , friends guitars etc.)to see if you have a preference.

Also, if you play distorted alot you may want to look into a single spaced humbucker to get rid of that annoying 60 cycle hum...

>>>Is this something I can do myself, or should I have a professional do it?

----------------------

After market pickups generally come with wiring diagrams, and if you are good at soldering and wiring things, this should not be a big problem. If you are not too sure have someone do it for you.

After all you wouldn't want to give your axe a black eye... http://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/s/blackeye/small3dblackeye.gif

This message has been edited by KHAN on 02-20-2001 at 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Khan

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if you play distorted alot you may want to look into a single spaced humbucker to get rid of that annoying 60 cycle hum...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Damn right Khan, I had a Fender strat that got trashed at a gig in Japan..... I had a humbucker put on it when it was rebuilt, best thang I ever did. Also good point about the Squires. A pal of mine brought one over the other week that had had Seymour Duncans put on it... Played and sounded fantastic.... For a Les Paul kind of a guy I was massively impressed.

Simon http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/eek.gif

...remember there is absolutely no point in talking about someone behind their back unless they get to hear about it...

I play a Japanese strat and put new pickups in it. Whether a fender is american or korean or mexican or whatever, 'supposedly' the workmanship, specs and woods are identical. What suffers is the hardware (tuners, bridge electronics etc). Ive replaced the tuners, pickups (d'marzzio stacked humbuckers) and I've got a completely new guitar. for the $275 you might spend on a suspect guitar, I say you overhaul the squire and end up with a much better deal...

Some of those Squier Strats are just alright. For a couple hundred bucks, you could have a good tech install Duncans (a good choice for passive pickups, I'll say) and really set the instrument up. The difference you'll hear and feel will be amazing.

On several sessions, I've used a friend's Fender Bullet, a downsized Strat-like guitar so cheaply constructed it doesn't even have a bridge assembly... the metal pickguard is bent up at a 90 degree angle just below the bridge pickup and the strings pass through holes in that! But he installed Duncan Quarter Pounders in this little beast and had a good tech set up the neck, and it absolutely screams...

I'm a big advocate of modding cheap guitars. I mean, I like nice guitars too, but modding is a great way to build a great instrument over time.

And definitely check in at The Fender Discussion Page (http://www.fenderforum.com). The FDP has a Squier Forum filled with a couple thousand Squier freaks just waiting to help.

- Jim Bordner

Jim Bordner

Gravity Music

"Tunes so heavy, there

oughta be a law."

I had a Fender Squire Srat from the mid-80s that I upgraded with Kinman pickups. You can check out the site at www.kinman.com and read up on the products. The sound on the guitar was pretty hot. I was able to sell the thing for more than what I paid for it originally just off of the tones it was able to produce. That's how I got my new Yamaha Ty Tabor model (just for reference ).

Archived