Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which Blues Pedal?

Give me your opinions about blues pedals like the DOD Mystic Blues, the Boss BD-2 Blues Driver, the Marshall Bluesbreaker, etc. I currently use a Tube Screamer, but, I also need something with edge but less drive, yet still maintains a bluesy flavor. I play a Les Paul if that helps into either/and an Ampeg Reverberocket 2 and an Oliver bass head into a Boogie 1x12 cab.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have collected many pedals and each have a particular use and some will eventually find a use. I have ZVexx Fuzz Factory and the Way Huge Swollen Pickle, which are way over the top; the Prescription Electronics Face Lift, which is a germanium fuzz with octive divider and reissue Tube Screamer, which must not be as good as the original because I don't see what all the fuss is about. It sucks out the bottom end.

But I think my favorite for live playing and the two I rely on the most are the Klon Centaur (which is a subtle boost that makes it sound like the amp is bigger) and Hot Cakes by Crowther Audio in New Zealand.

These two have limited distribution but you can track them down fast through ads in Vintage Guitar magazine.

The Hot Cakes sounds like what you are looking for. It is a fuzz lite, just a little bit of fuzz that won't hide your amp sound. And you can turn up the amount and it will progressively get fuzzier if you really want it. Noel Gallagher of Oasis is said to use one.

Redd Volkaert uses the Boss Blues Driver on his CD, Telewacker, and it sounded good to me. Redd is Merle Haggard's guitar player and Redd's CD, Telewacker, is old school Telecastering at its best.

I play Fender guitars through Fender amps. If I could only have one box it would be the Klon Centaur.

I have collected many pedals and each have a particular use and some will eventually find a use. I have ZVexx Fuzz Factory and the Way Huge Swollen Pickle, which are way over the top; the Prescription Electronics Face Lift, which is a germanium fuzz with octive divider and reissue Tube Screamer, which must not be as good as the original because I don't see what all the fuss is about. It sucks out the bottom end.

But I think my favorite for live playing and the two I rely on the most are the Klon Centaur (which is a subtle boost that makes it sound like the amp is bigger) and Hot Cakes by Crowther Audio in New Zealand.

These two have limited distribution but you can track them down fast through ads in Vintage Guitar magazine.

The Hot Cakes sounds like what you are looking for. It is a fuzz lite, just a little bit of fuzz that won't hide your amp sound. And you can turn up the amount and it will progressively get fuzzier if you really want it. Noel Gallagher of Oasis is said to use one.

Redd Volkaert uses the Boss Blues Driver on his CD, Telewacker, and it sounded good to me. Redd is Merle Haggard's guitar player and Redd's CD, Telewacker, is old school Telecastering at its best.

I play Fender guitars through Fender amps. If I could only have one box it would be the Klon Centaur.

well the obvious answer is make sure you get a pedal that has 'blue' in the title for authenticity sake :-) blues is a type of music you play, not appliances. it reminds of this kid that came into a guitar store and said he "wanted to buy a SLIDE guitar, ya know for da blooz..."
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

I'm sorry you misunderstood. I don't care if it has blue in the title, I care about a certain quality and type of sound. One that is different then I have with the Tube Screamer (and my Pro Co Brat). I understand the idea of the blues, and there are ways to enhance the tone for the blues. Most of the posts so far have given me good ideas to investigate. I have found a DOD Mystic Blues pedal to try and in another forum, it was also suggested to try the Daddy-O. Hopefully, I can locate a Fulltone and Klon to try. Thanks to most of you guys for your help. I love this forum better then the others I frequent. Less BS and more of a musical attitude (though we do love equipment for equipment's sake).

What about the Jeckyl & Hype and the Route 66 pedals? Does anyone know about them. Or even the Sans Amp. How 'bout the TriOD? Just other pedals I happen to think of a moment ago.

The Chandler tube driver is AMAZZZZING! Real tube sued them so Chandler stopped making them, but if you can find one it is a great pedal. The Real Tube version does not have as much eq, but is still worth checking out. The pedal uses a 12ax7 tube for the overdrive and has a lot of range from just breaking up to full on compression and fuzz. It also has enough head room for large volume boosts.

------------------

sixslinger

Archived