Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite recent live show?

michael saulnier

I've seen several good shows over the last year or two...

My favorite was Jeff Beck. He completely blew me away with his control of the sound and dynamics. He was touring to support his semi-techno album "who else?", and he made me rethink my interest in that material.

He also included some gems from his past including an awesome "cause we've ended as lovers".

It really was the highlight for me over the last couple of years and it reminded me that he is one of the "greats".

I understand he's working on a new cd, and hopefully he will tour again in 2001!

If he comes to your town... check him out!

What was your "favorite" recent show?

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, lessee...I don't see too many shows. But I did see Angus doing his famous schtick a few months ago. The hair is thinning, but he's still got more energy than most folks half his age.

A great recent show was Todd Rundgren's latest tour. Small venues...saw him at the Beaumont in KC. He missed a few chords...so why then was it such a great show? For that very reason. I like to hear famous people showing their human side.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Just had a weekend of three shows by the Steve Kimock band. Steve is an incredibly fluid improvisational rock guitarist from the SF bay area who has been playing there for around 15 years, gathering a strong local following but I guess going no further than that. His big claim to fame is playing with the Other Ones, the put-back together remains of the Grateful Dead.

He had an amazing band backing him: Tom Coster-ex of Santana, etc.; Rodney Holmes-also ex of Santana, Brecker Bros. etc. Rodney's drumming is a treat to watch and hear-even for people whose main interest is guitar-he is young and phenomenal. Bobby Vega on bass-old friend of Steve's and quite good.

Catch them if you can. CDs of some Steve's stuff are available at Kimock.com or elsewhere I think.

• 3 weeks later...

got to agree with guitplayer on this one... I saw Jeff Beck here in Oregon last year doing the Who Else tour and he is one bad ass rocker even with the techno.

Got tickets for the "you had it coming" tour later in February too.

If we are talking best live guitar concert *ever*, then I had the privilege of seeing Al DiMeola, Paco de Lucia and John McLaughlin back in 1981 (methinks?!) in London, doing THAT tour. They packed the Albert Hall and literally moved the entire audience to another place. Spellbinding, riotous, funny, moving, emotional... just an incredible experience. The "Friday Night" album only hints at what that performance was like.

Lordy! That was nearly 20 years ago...

Well this wasn't real recent but it's one of the best shows I've ever seen.

Deep Purple with Steve Morse on guitar/ELP opened at Universal Amplitheater.

I'm normally a jazz enthusiast but these guys especially Steve and John Lords just showed us all how the pros do it. It was incredible.

I saw Eric Johnson at a small club in Buffalo last year. We were able to get a table about ten feet from him !!! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif You could'nt wipe that grin off my face for a few days.

Right on NHCOMP. Dream Theatre were OK but I have to admit I was back and forth to the Bar for beers during their show.

YES, John Lord Leslies being fed by Marshalls sounded fat as hell, what a great show.

Peace,

Steve

This message has been edited by truth@jamfree.com on 01-20-2001 at 01:10 PM

Trower was one of the top three shows I caught last year... It was great to see him playing his "blues" material, and he put over the vocals better than I had expected.

His playing was the highlight, filled with soulful riffs and heartfelt bends... And he still makes that "face"... He also had awesome tone with a Marshall and a couple of Fender Twin's...

Rock on Robin.

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Last night, caught Eric Johnson with Derek Trucks as the opening act.

Derek is probably best known as the "son" of Butch Trucks, the Allman Bros. drummer, (Derek is actually his nephew, but the "son" label still sticks). He's a true prodigy playing live with the Allman's and others by age 12. Now at 20 he's at the top of his game...he toured with the A'bros. this last summer. He's no Duane clone though, his own music is blues filled jazz based tunes. The kid can play and he's great at both slide and normal fingering. his influences are more Coltrane than BB King, but he's great at improv soloing.

Eric Johnson was awesome. Tone. Tone. Tone. Tone.

I was only a few feet away from him, but I still couldn't see how he can get such a "no transient" sound from his picking. He's perfected this sound, and it's instantly distinctive, impressive, and totally under his control. He artfully used his Marshall and fender amp setup to seamlessly switch between his trademark clean and overdriven tones.

Then there's his playing. Although he's touring on his "Alien Love Child" band which is much more straight blues based than his "Eric Johnson" material, he still plays his fluid arpeggio style with impressive speed and grace. Also his selection of unusual chord voicing is a huge part of the musical statement he makes.

In the tradition of guitar players who also write and sing material, Eric sang a half a dozen songs... Not his strength, but he did a decent job.

Anyway in an era where virtuoso guitar playing isn't widely popular, I really appreciate artists like Eric getting themselves out there to give us all a taste of what we crave! The crowd ate it up, begging for and getting 2 encores.

He said he and Derek were going to do about 80 shows on this tour. If you learn he's coming to your town... check it out!

Tone. Tone. Tone. Tone.

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

• 4 weeks later...

Nothing recently but I did see Toto about a year ago at Slim's in San Francisco. My God, they were the best sounding group I have ever heard live. Lukather was burning and his tone was p.h.a.t. Their performance was perfect - there were no mistakes and they sounded just like the recordings. I guess when you get a bunch of experienced studio cats like that it is to be expected.

I also saw the Dixie Dregs about a year ago. They too, were amazing. Steve Morse was doing this thing with a volume pedal and some delay - wow!

I'm set to go see Jeff Beck this coming Tuesday. I've never seen him before. From what I've heard, I'm in for a treat!

I caught the Melvins/Fantomas Big Band in Hollywood in Dec '00. King Buzzo always delivers the rock! Mike Patton was his usual genius self.

Ween at "Alice Cooperstown" in Phoenix last year. 4 hrs of pure bliss!

Mr. Bungle at the Palladium. Jesus! That one left me slack-jawed. They dressed up like the Village People for this one.

• 2 weeks later...

Will you take my faves from over the last year and a half?

-Phish at Big Cypress, FL NYE2000: Trey Anastasio is a guitar MONSTER!!! What an amazing tone... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/eek.gif

-Marc Ribot y Los Cubanos Postizos at the Knitting Factory, NYC. Unbelievably fun!

-Neil Young (w/ Duck Dunn, Jim Keltner, Ben Keith, Spooner Oldham, and Peggy & Astrid Young) at Jones Beach, NY

-Medeski Martin & Wood (w/ Marc Ribot) Halloween at The Beacon Theatre, NYC. I understood what it meant to be born again at this show.... at the end there was some unknown pedal steel player who joined the quartet for two songs. He was unbelievable! He had the musicality of Hendrix, the soul & sound of Stevie Wonder, and the dexterity of Bela Fleck or Tony Rice!!!

I still don't know who he was but am dying to find out.

Also, I've seen Russel Malone, George Benson, Pat Martino, Marc Ribot, and John Scofield play in the studio where I work as a tech. I feel truly blessed to have such a ringside seat to the genius these guys exhibit.

That's all for now.

------------------

-MoonPi

This message has been edited by Alan Moon on 02-27-2001 at 11:53 AM

-MoonPi

Anthony Gomes, in St. Louis at some Holiday Inn....my God, folks...Kenny Wayne who? This guy is living, breathing blues hellfire....recent Buddy Guy "Best Unsigned Band" contest winner, and he made me feel like I was watchin SRV all over again. Not an SRV wanna be, but a man in total contol of his instrument and taking it (the music coming from said instrument) where ever he wanted to go on a whim....true talent, making hard things look easy...a must for all blues fans. Playing a '63 Stat though a Supereverb with some mxr pedals, very LOUD!! I bought a CD, and I never buy merch....big grin all night long....www.anthonygomes.com JT

------------------

Checked out Anthony's site...yep, good guitar!

What kinda caught my ear was the Gospel song "Higher"...a cool genre that you don't really see much attention given to. Made me wanna say AMEN...you hear...made me wanna say AAAAAA (high falsetto)----MEN! HAAAA-LELUJAH!

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

This has little to do with guitar, specifically. I've seen about 20 top-name shows in the past year. Just from pure enjoyment, the winners are Moody Blues and Chicago. I've seen several big name acts at the same venue and those two stand out as outstanding sound.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• 4 years later...

Saw Jeff Beck a while back - made me want to get 3 tons of Marshalls. BB is always fun and nostalgic. Buddy Guy on a good night has the most enrgy and the most fun on stage of any human I've ever seen(it's infectious!). Clapton is always good but reserved. Bonnie Raitt is my all time favorite female performer - she's awesome! Santana never disappoints. Nugent is hilariously irreverent and a great player. Chris Duarte will make your jaw drop. George Benson is an elegant, classy performer. Bob Dylan becomes more unintelligible each time. ACDC really puts out.

But Buddy Guy is the man I hope to see dozens of times more.

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Archived