Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What was the thing you learned that made the most difference?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I think the most important thing that helped me is just playing in front of people on a very regular basis. Zillions of hours in front of audiences where you can't stop if things foul up. Playing songs all the way through is so important. You learn to read crowds, read band mates and you learn what works and doesn't work as far as arrangements go. An unseen advantage is Lisa's point of 'being prepared.' I always had loads of spare wires, tubes, strings, mics, even dimmer paks, but for big stuff I always researched gear and bought the brands that will not tear up. In over twenty years of constant gigging I had a Crown power amp go down once for example. (And it was an outdoor gig in the middle of summer and turns out it just did the thermal overload thing and was fine once it cooled off). The only problem I ever had with my Boogie's was tube related and easily sussed. Always had a spare guitar for string breaking times too.

Playing regularly will eventually teach you everything you need to know about your playing, singing and your gear (including box trucks, constant problems with vehicles till I discovered Toyota).

1)Use white-colored picks; you can find them when you drop them.

2)Don't bother soldering your own cables, it's not worth the time.

3)Smile, dress sharp and be nice to everybody, and it won't matter if you use cheap and crummy gear.

4)Don't play in bands where the bass player's amp is taller than you are.

5)Check to see if musicians get free beer before you buy a drink at the bar.

6)If you forget verse 2, sing verse 1 again.

7)Make sure that the CD or tape you play over the PA on break is less interesting/fun than your own band; it's aggravating to see the crowd dance to the break music and sit for the live music.

The biggest thing that has helped my playing was the sudden realization that it doesn't matter how much you practice in your bedroom. Only what you can pull off on stage or when the tape is rolling is what is important. The last few years I have gotten better because I play more confidently. That is what makes a good performer.

Amen to that, Strychnine...

I have that problem with my band. We learn a new tune at rehearsal, and then during the gig they're too chicken to do it. And I'm the one that forces 'em to do it anyway. It'll usually suck for a few times (at least to us) until we get comfy with it onstage. Only onstage matters, though. You can rehearse all you want in the basement, but once you get up onstage, it all goes out the window and you're back to square one. If we can pull it off three or four times, it's a keeper. If we give it a couple of tries and it just ain't happening...it disappears quicker than someone who squeals on John Gotti.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

When I was 18 years old I played w/ a guy named Danny Denver, with whom Roy Buchanan (my idol at the time...) had played for many years. He was a great entertainer when he was half sober but that was rare. One night, sitting at the bar getting drunker, he told me that he taught Roy everything he knew. He offered to teach me all the same stuff. The one thing he said that stuck with me was "Son, ya cain't ever go wrong if you just play the melody!". 30 years (more or less) later I still find that to be true for most any style of music.

Many years later I took some lessons from a great pianist in Las Vegas named Rudy Egan. He didn't teach much and he certainly didn't teach guitar players but he was friends w/ my mother-in-law and she talked him into helping me out. We worked on jazz standards like "All the Things You Are" and "Donna Lee". Just trying to find something on the guitar that sounded vaguely like what he was playing was a revelation, as was the view I got into his thought process. I highly recommend taking lessons from non-guitar players...

gizmo

Originally posted by rosespappy:

The single most important thing I've learned......

Have something to say. This inst. is unique in that it can be heard in mountain canyons, great music halls, high school hallways or retirement home rooms. If you've got nothing to say, play an inst. that is recognized for your ability to repeat what someone else had to say. I guess that discription could fit the guitar as well, but if you've got something to say, people will recognize your "speech" when you play.

Rick

That is an absolute CORKER way to go bro!!

Simon http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

...remember there is absolutely no point in talking about someone behind their back unless they get to hear about it...

That no matter how developed one's skills or how much one enjoys private playing, there is NO substitute for playing music with & for other people.

------------------

Originally posted by fet:

3)Smile, dress sharp and be nice to everybody, and it won't matter if you use cheap and crummy gear.

Are you Billy Gibbons ?!

------------------

Originally posted by fet:

Are you Billy Gibbons ?!

------------------

Archived