Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite solos?

Tedster

<< How bout Robin Trower's "Too Rolling Stoned"..he makes a Strat to sound like something I haven't heard since.Unbelievable.. >>

Robin Trower's "Bridge of Sighs" album was recorded by Geoff Emmerick at AIR Studios. I wonder if they used some of the Automatic Double Tracker technology (that was developed for the Beatles at Abbey Road) on the guitar for those sessions. The guitar sound is big and fat and ahead of it's time.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jef beck's solo on freeway jam was at so slick,and revolutionary,it was very easy to take for granted! listen now...you can only smirk at what came after!Eddie van halen's "beat it"solo was,so right for the track,and so "modern",stylistically....incredible. My personal favorites will always be "white room"-sick!,"born under a bad sign"(clapton)-OR-just forget it...Duane Allman-"done somebody wrong"from fillmore east!Duane allman was THE "jimi hendrix" of slide guitar-untouchable! (one more!-sorry!)Hiram Bullock's "little wing" solo(sting)-holy shit G

Hey, SuperG...thanks for yanking this thread from the back pages...I still like to see what everyone listens to and counts as "classic". Speaking of Allman Bros...I have to add the "Cross to Bear" solo, especially how it comes in from "Don't Want You No More"...those notes ripped my guts out the first time I heard 'em...Dickey's solo on "Jessica" after Chuck Leavell's piano solo...man...that sings...
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Kendrix:

Jimi on the original Little Wing. He really soars on that one - and its recorded very cleanly thanks to Eddie K. Got to remember this was done in '67.

Welcome to the forum, Kendrix!

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Tedster,

Thanks for being such a good host with the welcome note. (Either that or you must have wayyyy too much spare time)

Actually I had been active on these EQ forums under anopther name prior to the guitar forum poping up..

Been hybernating for a while... got a new internet service/e-mail - so I've changed my identity.

Enuf of that

Hey any opinions on the optimim of string diameter when trying to get tone similar to J. Becks.

Sometmes his stuff sounds very loose / like a slinky string

Other passages not so. I know.. I know... It's all in the fingers but...

How do you guitarist deal with the tradeoff of heavier strings/better intonation, against slinkier strings/a more fuild/bendable instrument.

Currently, I choose either an .009 or a .010 with .046 on the bottom end.

The diference betwee these two is significant on my Gretsch.

Cheers

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

Archived