Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite solos?

Tedster

Tedster,

I´m afraid that I cannot play flamenco myself (I think that serious flamenco is the most difficult thing that a human can do with a guitar). Anyway, I´ve made a little compilation of recent CD titles that you might be able to find:

Recent recordings by old masters:

Parrilla de Jerez. Guitarra flamenca. Nostalgia (VDE)

Parrilla de Jerez. Guitarra flamenca Jondura. (Midwest Records)

Juan Habichuela. De la zambra al duende, un homenaje (Mercury)

Paco´s generation:

Paco de Lucía. Luzía (Mercury) Paco himself plays to the death of his mother, Luzía. For the first time, he also sings in two tracks.

Manolo Sanlúcar. Locura de Brisa y Tino (Mercury) Second (if such ranking could ever be fair) only to Paco de Lucía, he is the other godfather of modern flamenco guitar. He got the National Music Award (a highly respected classical music award) a few days ago.

Enrique de Melchor. Arco de las Rosas (Fonomusic) Check this out. I saw him on TV not long ago, in a late night flamenco show, playing a track of this CD, and it was breathtaking. Just flesh and fingernails, nylon and wood, and he got so many different tones out of his guitar in a few minutes timeAfter that I felt so couldn´t go near a guitar for a week. Paco de Lucía appears in the CD, too.

Paco Cepero. De pura cepa . (FODS). His first solo recording in 20 years.

Raimundo Amador. Noche de flamenco y blues (Universal). Nothing to do with the other CD´s. Raimundo Amador is a superb flamenco player who switches his Ramirez for a Strat and dares to trade blues licks onstage with, among others, B.B. King himself. This CD is recorded live, and, besides B.B., several other musicians from the new wave of flamenco jam with Raimundo.

Good luck,

Jose.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
A few of my choices.Ditto to those who said "Since We've Ended as Lovers"[Jeff Beck]and "Comfortably Numb" [Gilmour].I also love Don Fielder's solo on "You Never Cry Like a Lover" [Eagles,"On the Border" CD]is so very tasty.I still get chills when I listen to "Empty Rooms" by Gary Moore.Not the one put out as a single,but the album cut off "Victims of the Future".Last,but not least,"Talk to Your Daughter" by Robben Ford off album of the same name.Taste,tone and technique,all in there.

Well I'm new here. And I thought I would offer my two cents here. My favorite guitar solos are "Little Wing" by Hendrix/SRV, "Comfortably Numb/Another Brick Part II" Pink Floyd. But the my big fave that was the first solo I learned how to play was"Sunshine of your love" I get a lot of compliments on my phrasings of that one.

Wow, so many great ones mentioned already. I gotta throw down for:

Gilmour on "Learning To Fly"

Larry Carlton on "Kid Charlemange" and "Third World Man" (the solo so good they wrote a whole song around it)

Jessie Ed Davis on "Doctor My Eyes"

Stevie Ray Vaughn on Jennifer Warnes' version of "First We Take Manhattan"

Denny Diaz on "Bhodisattva"

Ritchie Blackmore on "Highway Star"

Again, I could go on and on. And probably will. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Originally posted by Tedster:

Madrid! Cool! I've gotta say I think of the Spanish guitar masters when I think of Madrid...who's hot on the classical/flamenco scene over there (or am I a hundred years out of touch?), what obscure maestros should we be seeking out? (I can't play that kind of music, but I lo-ove listening to it)...

Oh, yeah, and welcome!

I hear ya Tedster, I absolutely LOVE Flamenco myself, Mariachi (sr??) too. I went to Six Flags over the summer and they had a Mariachi group playing there that really sounded great, last thing I had expected to see!!

I went up and told them great job at the end of the show and they looked at me like I was nuts. Guess they weren't used to being complimented.

Anyway, my favorite song (includes favorite solo) would have to be Life Without You from SRV. I don't think I've ever seen a more soulful performance.

Chris wrote...

>>>Well I'm new here. And I thought I would offer my two cents here. My favorite guitar solos are "Little Wing" by Hendrix/SRV, "Comfortably Numb/Another Brick Part II" Pink Floyd. But the my big fave that was the first solo I learned how to play was"Sunshine of your love" I get a lot of compliments on my phrasings of that one.

Welcome aboard, Chris...

Phrasing! Yes! For me, that's what playing is all about. A lick is a bunch o' notes. Phrasing is for me what turns it into artistry. That's what it is in a great blues solo that grabs the listener by the balls (or ovaries as the case may be) and makes them holler "YEAH!!!"...

"Sunshine" has a special meaning for me. I was about 10 or 11 and heard a local band in Virginia do that at a street dance. That was the first time I can remember hearing anyone play lead guitar live like that, the local guitar hero doing his best Clapton impersonation. It sounded awesome to me at the time. (Of course, it was a brand-new song way back then).

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

What comes to mind at the moment, don't hold me to it:

1) Jeff Beck, at 2:02 on Roger Water's "What God Wants Pt. III". That's the most mind blowing phrase, ever. Ultimate combination of melody, timing, microtonal pitch inflection, timbral variation, sound... everything.

The above is something that NEVER changes with me - if you haven't heard that solo, you haven't heard the greatest lick ever...

1.5) Henry McCullough (I think) on Paul McCartney's "My Love".

2) Jeff Beck "'Cause We've Ended As Lovers"

3) Jeff Beck "Goodb...

No, wait.. just put in 5 Jeff Beck solos...

No, I suppose that's too silly.

4) Jimi Hendrix - "Voodoo Chile"

5) Jimi Hendrix - "Machine Gun"

6) Bohemian Rhapsody

7) Comfortably Numb

8) Jeff Be.. I mean.. hmm.. "Devil Take the Hindmost" Allan Holdsworth

9) "Metal Fatigue" Allan Holdsworth

10) Steve Vai "Blue Powder"

11) David Gilmour - the intro to "Shine On"

12) David Gilmour "Echoes"

13) Randy Rhoads - "Crazy Train"

14) Randy Rhoads - "Mr. Crowly"

15) Randy Rhoads - "S.A.T.O"

16) George Lynch - "In My Dreams" (many a metal guitarist in the 80's probably pulled muscles doing that stretch... )

17) Mark Knopler - "Sultans of Swing"

18) Yngwie Malmsteen - Hiroshima Mon Amour

19) Paco Delucia - anything

20) Eddie VanHalen - "Push Comes to Shove"

NO, WAIT, this has to be listed:

Tony Peluso - Carpenter's "Goodbye To Love"

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Peeps,

Coming in late. "Peter Frampton's" "Do You Feel Like I Do" on Guitar, & "Jaco Pastorious" playing "Teen Town" along with "Weather Report" on Bass.

Quantum! C/O

DBENNVA@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by DBENNVA@hotmail.com (edited 12-14-2000).]

[This message has been edited by DBENNVA@hotmail.com (edited 12-14-2000).]

The solo from "Play That funky Music White Boy." the song is so cool and fun, and the solo fit the character of the song. We're not talking notes here, we're talkin' attitude.

* Steve Morse, a song called 'The Introduction' on an album by the same name.

* Eric Johnson, amazing melody. Pick almost ANY of his.

* Several people have mentioned Comfortably Numb. Very delicate, demonstrates why he might bend better than any other player on the planet.

* I like some of Holdsworth's stuff. But then he ruins them by playing so quickly you can't tell what he's playing.

* I've been a bad boy for saying this in the past, and it generally makes me very umpopular. But I *HATE* Eddie Van Halen's soloing. I think he's terrible. When he's not playing cheesey hammer-ons to impress the teenie-boppers he's playing out of key. However, his rhythm playing knocks my sox off. How about the song Drop Dead Legs? That's gotta be the meanest riff played with the most attitude I've ever heard.

* Steve Lukather has uncorked a few good ones.

* There a guy named Ulrich Roth who replaced Mike Schenker in the Scorpions. What a monster he is. He was Yngwie when Yngwie was still in diapers. Except Uli's playing isn't overdone, just tasteful. One solo in particular is from a song called THE SAILS OF CHERON on the Scorp's TAKEN BY FORCE ALBUM. Amazing.

* And how about Mike Schenker himself? Listen to the song 'Bijou Pleasurette' and come back and talk to me.

* Anyone who plays pentatonics should not be on this list. :-)

RC...

anything from QUEENSRYCHE-OPERATION MINDCRIME

JIMI HENDRIX'S-acoustic and blues stuff

SRV-anything from the greatest blues guitarist ever!!!!!

STEVE VAI'S stuff that isn't too weird...

RANDY RHOADS-revelation[mother earth]

ERIC SARDINAS-check him out,A SLIDE MASTER!!

........................bluedawg

Originally posted by Roger Chernenburg:

* Steve Morse, a song called 'The Introduction' on an album by the same name.

Augusta Ga. homeboy Steve is great. Everything he does is completely melodic and perfectly composed...

umpopular. But I *HATE* Eddie Van Halen's soloing. I think he's terrible.

He doesn't exactly resolve anything. It's careening; but the beauty is the sheer audacity of conviction that makes his solos work. He lets it hang out (at least he used to) and sometimes it doesn't work, but there's a self-logic to them. It's the sound of "reaching", which is neat if you take it for that. Take it for "concisely thought out and properly resolved" and it's a mess.

Legs? That's gotta be the meanest riff played with the most attitude I've ever heard.

He's come up with more cool riffs than almost anybody, save Jimmy Page maybe... but the funny thing is I bet in his mind he's just aping Z.Z. Top.

Yngwie was still in diapers. Except Uli's playing isn't overdone, just tasteful.

Yeah, Yngwie took a lot from Sails of Charon

but I like the purity of Yngwie's first solo record to Roth's sort of quasi-psychedelic thing. Yngwie took more from Blackmore I think.

"As Above So Below" has one of the tighest bits of technical metal guitar playing in the solo as there's been; Roth didn't get to that point I don't think.

* And how about Mike Schenker himself? Listen to the song 'Bijou Pleasurette' and come back and talk to me.

I have.. Actually, I think his diminished bits on the solo in "Red Sky" is probably the definitive example of advant-garde but listenable stretching out in metal during that era. Big influence on Rhoads I think.

I wish he had done more stuff like - what was that pseudo-classical instrumental he did on _Assault Attack_? Used to play that in a cover band when I was a kid, but I can't remember what it was called now.. ack.

I can't stand his guitar sound, though...

Wolf Hoffman does nice classical interpretations in the Schenker vein. He doesn't do anything overtly flashy, but he's good at capturing the vibe of the piece and putting his stamp on it without wrecking it.

* Anyone who plays pentatonics should not be on this list. :-)

Er...? You mean like Eric and Gilmour?? Wha?

Ahh, yes, cousin Wolf...hehehe...(I'm kidding)...

DBENNVA...

Yes, Jaco did a bass solo on a Mott the Hoople song, and I can't remember the frigging name. It had a piano ride with a similar groove to Joe Cocker's "You can leave your hat on"...but there's this astonishing bass solo, and I remember looking at the credits and it said "bass solo on (can't remember the name): Jaco Pastorius", and I was like, oh, well that explains that, then...I'd just like to hear the song again...if just for the solo...

Ted Hoffman (Tedster)

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

• 6 months later...
Originally posted by Chip McDonald:

NO, WAIT, this has to be listed:

Tony Peluso - Carpenter's "Goodbye To Love"

Funny, Guitar Player has a little article on that solo this month....

Interesting, good article, great detail and to the point.

Funny, it seems like I'm starting to buy GP again, maybe I'll eventually resubcribe... Seems like there's been more *guitar* interest articles of late than teeny-bopper/trendy interest articles. Good!

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Man! You go on the road for 3 weeks and all the REALLY good topics get fleshed out, without you! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

At least TWO of you stole the first one that came to my mind, Kid Charlemagne! Man Larry Carlton is fantastic on that. Did someone say it was written AROUND the solo? I always wondered how he threaded the needle through all those key changes in such a short time expanse. Is that true? Fantastic either way.

Lee - your original comment said you like embedded solos, within the chord structure, if I read it right. Take a listen to Paul McCartney on the unplugged album, playing And I Love Her. Either Robbie McIntosh (Is that the right name?) or Hamish Stuart played the solo, sticking to the original for most of it, then letting loose a bunch of passing chords along with a melody that can only be described as the musical equivalent to a flock of birds taking flight! (It's a screwy description, but I think you'll understand when you hear it.) Also check out the solo in "Turn It On Salvador" by Toy Matinee. The solo was either songwriter/lead singer/guitarist Kevin Gilbert or Tim Pierce. This whole album could be noted, less for standard solos than for incredibly arranged instruments. The individual guitar lines within verses and chorus' are standout melodies, timbres, and performances.

Some other gems.

[*]Gilmour on "Another Brick In The Wall, Pt. II"

[*]Jeff Beck on Rod Stewart's "I Was Only Joking" and "Maggie May"

[*]Brian May on "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "Killer Queen"

[*]Jimmy Page on "Stairway To Heaven"

[*]Stevie Ray Vaughn on so many songs. "Couldn't Stand The Weather" and covering Hendrix's "Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)"

[*]George Harrison on The Beatles' "Something"

[*]Stanley Jordan on his version of Thad Jones' "A Child Is Born" This almost always makes me cry.

[*]Eddie Van Halen on the clean intro to "Women In Love"

I object to the contention that Eddie doesn't resolve his melodies. Try another Van Halen fav of mine, "Dreams" Definately a beginning, middle, and end. Things sorely lacking in so many soloists creations. Without sounding mechanical, he brought interesting, fast melody lines to a new place. He wasn't the first, the last, but he is perhaps the best at two handed tapping. Not for quantised perfect playing. Rather the opposite. He's almost sloppy in his tapping. It doesn't matter. It's definately part of the character I love. It sounds as upbeat as that infectious smile you see every few seconds in the video for "Jump". "Jump" & the solo for Michael Jackson's "Beat It" are his two best distorted solos. Including "Eruption", which is wonderful because it's musical, not because it's fast. Personally, I'm amazed at the contrast of consonance and dissonance in the same solo, or phrase when Eddie plays. His solo melodies are unique, but not overly strange.

I am, of course forgetting many others, and I'm not repeating a bunch of previously mentioned songs.

------------------

Neil

Reality: A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

there's so many, but in no particular order or weight of importance applied:

cliff gallup (gene vincent) - crusin' (all 3 of 'em!)

richard thompson-shoot out the lights

mike campbell- american girl (the outro skynrd-like riffing)

jeff beck-come dancin'

ike turner-prancin' (whammmy bar city)

charlie christian-solo flight

t-bone walker-strollin' with the bone (chuck berry heard this one!)

jimmy page -what is and what should never be (short and you can hum it)

johnny thunders-one track mind (attitude)

beatles-hard day's night (again short and hum-able)

slim harpo-scratch my back

jimmie vaughan(fab t-birds)-full time lover

neil young -cinnamon girl (mentioned before...one note)

hendrix- dylan's watchtower (all r&b chops, minimal wanking)

magic sam-all of your love

chuck berry-little queenie (keef might have heard this one...)

prince- just my imagination (live bootleg)

-d. gauss

How about George Harrison's solo on 'How Do You Sleep?' (from Lennon's Imagine album). Best slide solo ever IMO.

I always loved Elliot Easten's work (Cars). He could get in, blast for 8 bars and then back off perfectly. Check out 'Touch and Go' for an incredibley melodic screaming singing solo.

I also dig Martin Barre, check Aqualung solo among many others.

For absolute feel and emotion, I like Carlos Santana on 'Europa.'

No one's said 'Purple Haze' which goes without saying I guess. Jemi had so many.

Also a huge Roger Fisher fan. Check out 'Heartless' or any of the first four Heart albums.

When I saw Zep it wasn't Stairway that knocked me for a loop, it was the solo on 'Whole Lotta Love.'

No one's mentioned Albert Lee. How 'bout 'Country Boy?'

And yes, it was Paul doing the solo on 'Taxman.'

For extraordinary feel with few notes, how about Lennon's solo on 'Get Back?'

I think 'The Artist' is way under rated on guitar. There's a bunch of good solos around the 'Purple Rain' era. How 'bout 'Let's Go Crazy.'

Who did the solo on 'I ain't Got You' -Yardbirds, I think it was EC. Very simple, very powerful.

'How Blue Can You Get?' -B.B.

I haven't mentioned 'Reeling,' 'Bohemian' et al since those are so obvious, still trying to think up great stuff that hasn't been mentioned...

Amen to Elliot Easton! I always thought that he played what was perfect for the song!

Others in no particular order:

"Crazy Train" Randy Rhoads

"Can't Buy Me Love" George Harrison

"So This Is Love" Eddie Van Halen

"Heartbreaker" Jimmy Page

"LA Woman" Robbie Krieger

"Crossfire" Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Princes of the Universe" Brian May

"Stray Cat Strut" Brian Setzer

"Hide Away" Freddie King

"T-bone Shuffle" T-bone Walker

"Twilight Zone" Golden Earing

------------------

KJ

-------------------

bari man low

KJ

-------------------

"50 million Elvis Presley fans can't be all wrong" - John Prine

Originally posted by DC:

I always loved Elliot Easten's work (Cars). He could get in, blast for 8 bars and then back off perfectly. Check out 'Touch and Go' for an incredibley melodic screaming singing solo.

YES! Two of my favorites are from "Just What I Needed" and "Magic"

Originally posted by DC:

Also a huge Roger Fisher fan. Check out 'Heartless' or any of the first four Heart albums.

YES, again! I meant to mention the CLEAN solo on "Crazy On You". GFTPM's transcriber mentioned it when they printed tab for "C O Y". His comment? (paraphrased) A CLEAN solo in a hard hitting rock song? Wow!

Originally posted by DC:

No one's mentioned Albert Lee. How 'bout 'Country Boy?'

I STILL haven't heard AL's version of this song! The Ricky Skaggs cut is great. Acoustic flatpicked solos are incredible. Anyone have an MP3 I could listen to of the original?

------------------

Neil

Reality: A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived