Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg Triton Extreme Freezing?

aphemia

Hi guys

Just a quick query that I hope doesn't get buried in the NAMM furore - boy, there are some hot new products!

My relatively new and mint (but 2nd hand...) Triton Extreme seems to be behaving slightly erratically. I haven't used it for more than about 10 hours so far, but every now and then there seems to be a glitch.

There are two things that I've noticed happen when this glitch occurs. Firstly, anything that I'm playing just sounds continuously as if I have the sustain pedal permanently on. I don't even have one connected...

Secondly, when I try to adjust the MIDI channel of a sound within a combination, it will not move from the currently selected channel.

The only way I can clear this is to turn off/on.

Has anyone else experienced this or got any thoughts on what I might do?

There are no MIDI devices connected and no controller pedals of any sort.

Many many many thanks if anyone can help

Aphemia

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had my extreme for a few years and I haven't experienced any problems.

1. Did you register the warrantee?

2. refer to the trouble-shooting section of the manual.

3. Contact Korg customer service ASAP! (They have been very helpful )

4. give a heads-up to 'Jerry The K' on this forum - he can at least get a contact for you at Korg if you have difficulty.

It sounds to me like its a repair issue as well. I would contact Korg and get information about the warranty. I'd also keep the sellers info on file in case he/she contacted Korg about the same issue. Korg is generally pretty good about standing behind their products.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Thanks a lot guys - much appreciated

The seller was a really really nice old guy who'd just bought it to mess around with at home. I don't think he'd really used it for quite a while and the condition is superb.

I know it sounds silly, but he's the sort of guy who would definitely have said if there was an issue.

I've still got his contact details - he even wrote out a receipt for me!

OK, if (when....) if happens again I'll get in touch with Korg for some advice.

Thanks again everyone

Aphemia

Two suggestions before you take it in for service.

1) On power up the Triton displays its "System Version" (Operating System Version). Make sure it is the most current, which is OS v1.05. If not, update it:

http://www.korg.com/service/downloadinfo.asp?DID=919

2) Go to Global Mode, the Page 2:1 Controller (see the Extreme Parameter Guide pg. 165). Make sure the "Damper Polarity" is set to "Korg Standard" if there is no pedal connected.

There is a strange quirk in the Triton series where if you have the Damper pedal Polarity set incorrectly (either wrong setting for your pedal or wrong seting when no pedal connected) where it will freeze timbres. If it is set incorectly, set it to the correct polarity when perform "Write Global Setting" (which will write your changes into system memory).

Martin H

You're a legend and are totally correct with point 2.

I went through the trouble-shooting guide last night and spotted a problem with the same symptoms as myself. The cure was to set the polarity as in your reply.

When I first got the Triton I changed the polarity in Global as I was connecting a Roland damper pedal. However, since then I now use a single damper hooked up to my Roland Vsynth and then MIDI down to the Triton. However, I didn't bother to change the polarity back as I figured it would make no difference given that nothing was connected!!

I changed the settings yesterday and have not had a freeze since - so now with your reply to I'm confident that it's fixed!

Thanks Martin - much appreciated. :)

Aphemia

Archived