Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Riders On The Storm: Fingering Technique

b3keys

Hi,

Well for my 500th (!) post, I thought I would ask a musicial question. Can anyone recommend the proper fingering for the descending run in The Doors' Riders On The Storm? I know the lick is in thirds, but I keep getting tangled up during this run. Any advice.

Thanks!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In classical training I learned a technique of alternating fingers for third runs.

There are variations depending on key, but the idea is basically 4-2-3-1 down the keys or 1-3-2-4 up the keys.

regards,

--kwgm

Here is the fingering that I use:

G(3) E(1) F#(2) D(1) then repeat the following:

E(5) C(3) D(4) B(2) C(3) A(1) B(5) G(3) A(4) F#(2) G(3) E(1) F#(2) D(1)

It helps to remember that after the first four notes, the 5 finger always plays E and B.

Cheers! :wave:

My band does a few Doors tunes, but not Riders on the Storm. I've often wondered about that lengthy run. Once you have a fingering worked out that feels comfortable to you, I would divide the run into three or four sections, practice the sh*t out of each section, then the transitions between the sections. Then I would practice section one and two together, then add the third section, then add the fourth, etc.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I'm not too familiar with the notes for that tune but it's kinda like a descending D dom 7 scale no?

I'm mainly self-taught and i'd play the notes Billdar wrote like;

G(4) E(2) F#(3) D(1) then use my 4th and 1st fingers all the way down just using my 2nd finger for the F#'s.

Is that considered lazy fingering or anything? I do it like that because it feels easy to tremelo between those two fingers for me.

Ooh, I wonder if Dave H will grace this thread with a reply? ;)

Archived