Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

roland srx & sr-jv cards, mks-20, rhodes mk80 sounds

cdkey

HI there and Happy New Year

Does anybody know if the electric piano sounds of the (old) Rhodes/Roland mk80 stage piano are on any of the Roland expansion cards or if they are already a patch on the RD700sx?

Any info or help most welcome.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know about the RD700sx, but Roland knows that a lot of us are still fond of it's SA electric pianos like on the MKS-20, MK-80, and RD300s. Fantoms have a collection of SA waves, as did the XPs and XVs, and I'll bet that they're in the RD700 too. I love 'em and it's one reason I still have Rolands around. Look for something like SA Rhodes in the presets.

The new Roland SRX-12 Rhodes 1 trumps every Rhodes Roland has ever done. I owned two MKS-20s and an MKS-80 Rhodes, both have a dated 80's Rhodes sound. They cannot be exactly duplicated by samples alone on the newer Expansion boards because they were "adapted" samples.

Find 750 of Harry's solo piano arrangements and tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
These arrangements are for teaching solo piano chording using Harry's 2+2 harmony method.
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." 

Well you're right that samples can't exactly duplicate the SA sound, which actually synthesized the waveforms from scratch (a process Roland called Structured Adaptive Synthesis). But they can get very close. I've A/B'd E Piano 2 (my fave) in my RD-300s to the SA pianos in both my XP-80 and Fantom S, and with a little tweaking they're good to go.

These pianos aren't on expansion boards to my knowledge because Roland always includes them in native ROM. They're not supposed to sub for a Rhodes these days, but were on countless hits from the 1980s and if your night includes stuff from that era you've gotta have 'em. I also use them in my praise and worship band...p&w music to this day features a lot of this kind of electric piano.

Thanks for the info guy's

I know the mk80 / MKS-20 e-piano is definitely not a sub for the real mechanical Rhodes sound (I have SRX 12 and Nord stage compact to emulate that). It is a sound to me of its own and one that I like even if its a dated 80's sound.

On my RD700sx there is one called S.A.E.P but if thats it I need to do some Tweaking

There is one called D50 e-piano, is this the same type of sound as well?(the SA synthesis type?)

I am not very familiar with older equipment from 80s and their sounds so one more question

The mks-20 piano module, Rhodes/Roland MK80 / 60 type Piano and the RD1000 piano sound wise, are these all identical for e-piano sounds?

If any one is familiar with these older 80s sounds and would like to spread a little knowledge could you give some examples of who or what music where these specific sounds were used in a big way. (And any current music) I have discovered a recent liking for the P&W music my self this may be what has sparked the interest.

Hi cdkey,

As far as I know, The mks-20 and rd-1000 have exactly the same engine and sounds. The mk-80/60 has a similar kind of engine but sounds a little different.

I had the mks-20 (2 times) and I loved not only the sound but the expression of it. In my opinion there's nothing like it. (and in no way the sa samples of the xp's and fantoms come close expression wise) Apart from the sa engine the chorus on the mks is also very, very nice)

There's a lot of info found on this forum so if you search for sa or mks-20....

Good luck

Claire Fisher used the MKS20 all over his Latin jazz fusion albums.

Find 750 of Harry's solo piano arrangements and tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
These arrangements are for teaching solo piano chording using Harry's 2+2 harmony method.
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." 

That was a good idea MichielOSX30!

Just found a wealth of info from this forum linked on the S.O.S. website, this has the complete roland history of instruments explained on it. (I think I am turning into an anorak with this)

Thanks for the advice people

anymore mk80 / mks-20 listening suggestions

out there yet?

Back again. Just got this reply from Roland USA about my original question at the top of the page;

about the srx / sr-jv / rd700sx etc..

...Roland....

There is one acoustic piano and one electric piano sound in the RD-700SX that are reminiscent of the MKS-20, but not a direct

sample.

We are not aware of Mk80 samples appearing in any SRX or SR-JV boards.

time to do a bit of tweaking methinx

Archived