Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How far away is the music stand on a grand?

Jazz+

How many inches away from your eyes is the reading stand on an average grand piano?

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somewhere on the order of 18" (from where your eyes would actually be), unless I'm really not remembering correctly.

Tough to measure, given how individual different postures can be. I'll measure on my little 5'2" when I get a chance. The music lyres can also be adjusted, typically, from front to back.

[i see someone beat me to it -- I originally said 18-24", but for some reason 24" seemed a bit high. It's hard for me to say without sitting down and measuring!]

I measure it between 19" and 22" depending how far you slide the rack back and how thick the book is.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

delete! :D

I measured it at 24". Had a pair of "computer" bifocals made up for that distance and closer. For the first time I can pick up a score for a closer look without taking my glasses off. Wahoo.

I'm near-sighted.

Is that what this is about?

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Archived