Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

xv5080 and Fantom sound patches

smooveface

I know there are many threads about this. I just wanted to know if the xv5080(or 5050) share any of the same sound patches. Sure I can look at the patch list names and compare, but I know Roland often renames old patches and repackages them in newer synths. I'm trying to decide if I want to purchase the XV5080 or step up to the FantomXR. I heard a few patches on the Fantom that I really like and wanted to know if there were similar ones on the 5080.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a toss up:

Fantom XR

+: You can get the 5080 soundset from Roland's website. Built in arp. 6 SRX expansion slots.

-: 2 line display - hard to edit. Doesn't read AKAI sample disks. No skip back sampling found on keyboards or graphical piano mode found on keyboards.

Fantom XV5080

+: Large display. Reads Roland and AKAI sample formats. Allows for SRX and SR-JV expansion (4 each).

-: Doesn't have latest and greatest Fantom X sounds.

This is just my general experience with Fantom S/X and previous Rolands. I don't go through presets in detail because I prefer to program my own, but it seems that Roland wanted to take advantage of the newer waveforms and effects and there isn't much of a 1:1 correlation.

I've heard of patch converters, but I really can't see how they would work reliably. A lot of the really popular older waveforms were not carried over... D50 Heaven, Fantasynth, JPStrings, OrgVox, VoiceOohs... these were the foundation of countless Roland pads in the 1990s and there is really no replacement for any of them in the current Fantom waveset.

I'd buy based on the merits of each. Don't think you can make a Fantom into an XP/XV. Personlly I have a wide collection of Roland romplers. They're all viable.

The blurb at the time I bought my XV-5050, was that it had all the 5080 patches, plus select Fantom patches. The XV-5080 does not have Fantom sounds in it.

Recently sold my XV-5050 for a 3080, so what do I know? ;)

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Yamaha Montage M7, Nord Electro 6D, Hammond XK1c, Dave Smith PolyEvolver & Rack, Moog Voyager,  Modal Cobalt 8X, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

The ROM of the first Fantom, the Fantom FA76, is actually XV, so an XV-5050 could have select Fantom patches of the FA76 variety. The dividing line between old and new ROM starts with the Fantom S. It is confusing. And I'd personally take a 3080 over a 5050... I think you did pretty good on that one.

I'm working on pads right now and there's a lot of terrific stuff in the new waves. Several versions of supersaw, unison saw, trance waves, and an assortment of Oberheim pads, so I don't want to sound like I'm favoring the older ROM.

Plus all of the old Soft Pad waves have been carried over, and renamed Warm Pad. These are the Roland Sound... timeless waves that can be put to all kinds of uses. I'm glad to see them in my Fantom.

I do wish that the same was done for Fantasynth and the JPStrings waves though... also great raw material with no close counterpart in the Fantom. But that's why I still have my XP-60 and JV-1080.

Archived