Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: The person who started the band is the weakest link

EscapeRocks

Originally posted by Blue JC:

That's been my experience as well. They compensate for lack of chops by providing the rehearsal space, PA, lights, truck. [/QB]

Man that is so true. Our old guitarist had the basement, the PA, the van,...

In the end, we couldn't deal with it anymore, and formed another and with a new drummer & guitar player.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Montage M7, MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XS Rack, PolyEvolver, Voyager, Cobalt 8X, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Imagine that one of the best gigs around Sydney at the moment is playing in Russell Crowe's Ten Odd Foot of Grunts.

I met a musician that has played in the band, and as expected he said that Russell is not really a musician.

And some of the guys in his band are some of the best musicians in town.

Why can't the public think with their ear's any more, and go and see a band 'cause they are bloody hot, not because

the front man is a celebrity?

quote alby

"Why can't the public think with their ear's any more, and go and see a band 'cause they are bloody hot, not because the front man is a celebrity? "

they cant they are spoon fed even though he wasnt on Australian idol they will still see him with thier mum because he is a celebrity,.you see these people who see him are the parents of those who vote on Australian idol a viscous circle like mum like daughter.

Its like the Low Socio/economic problem in Australa once you are born into this situatiion its hard to claw your way out of it.Eventually having more children who respoond to the new range ofd manufactured boy bands to hit us in 10 years or so...and so on.

I used to be that weakest link.

After playing guitar for about 7 months, I got a group of musicians together and formed a band. These were guys who I knoew who were all really good musicians, but didn't know each other.

After a couple of weeks the band was done feeling each other out and they were really starting to gel. Thats the point at which it became painfully obvious that I was the weak one.....by far.

For a while they just let me kind of play along, and they didn't worry about me. They just gave me a very simple musical role and let me fuddle through it. We started writing songs, and it turned out that I had some ability at that, though my guitar playing was horrible. They decided to let me sing since we were still trying out singers. I actually can sing pretty well.....but this was a reggae band and I can't sing reggae.....don't know why. Just can't sing it.

After a few months they were ready to play out. They changed the practice timeand place without telling me. I was upset for a week or two. Then I realized that I just wasn't there yet, and moved on.

Five years later I was invited to one of there practices. It was mostly the same guys with a couple of new additions. I had greatly improved. At this point I could actually contribute.

So, we start playing and what do they play? The same song that I helped write five years previously. The rest of the night it went on and it turns out that they are still working on those same five tunes, and haven't written anything else.

Archived