Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Beginner scales question

davorp

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this isn't the answer you're looking for, but the fingering of all scales is really just a matter of common sense. If you take a look at a collection of notes and give it some thought, you can come up with one or two sets of fingerings that would make you and your teacher content.

Also, don't just practice from scale starting on degree 1 going up and down several octaves - practice your scales starting on every note of the scale ... and for good measure, practice them in thirds, sixths ... and in contrary motion to keep things interesting.

Instead of looking at the 'scale book', look at your hands.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Originally posted by Sven Golly:

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

you can come up with one or two sets of fingerings that would make you and your teacher content.

Just so you know that the humour in this wasn't missed, Dave... thanks for the laugh. :wave:
:D is your teacher at least pretty? :D

Hanon does include fingering tips, but I guess not for all ocasions :love:

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

Originally posted by delirium:

:D is your teacher at least pretty? :D

Ummmm.... no, not what I meant at all.

I guess the recent "Dick Hyman" joke is still front and center for some folks. ;):P

What I meant was, this was Dave's way of saying "if you had a teacher, you wouldn't have to ask the question."

Originally posted by soundscape:

When I was 9 my piano teacher was kinda hott... then she got married! Boy was I upset. :D

same was with me, couldn't concentrate on playing at all...I mean chicks should be baned from teaching :D
♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

Originally posted by delirium:

Originally posted by soundscape:

When I was 9 my piano teacher was kinda hott... then she got married! Boy was I upset. :D

same was with me, couldn't concentrate on playing at all...I mean chicks should be baned from teaching :D
I got it bad,I got it bad,I got it bad......

I'm hot for teacher :love:

Van Halen

Archived