Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Duh! - Boom

Byrdman

I use a boom mic with a nice long boom so that the stand can sit at the end of my keyboards - so I can push the mic forward and back not forward and to the side. Its also got a nice clutch that does not sag.

But there are often times when the stage configuration means I can't have it on the right side of the rig - which is to say the left. As a result the clutch faces away from me. The clutch can be disassembled but it is itself polarised so you can't flip it around.

Except I just realized that the whole boom arm can be pulled out after you remove the grommet from the end and put in the other way. Takes five seconds flat! Including removing and replacing the grommet.

Duh. No more having the clutch facing away from me.

Now if only there was an easy way to add more weight to the end so it would balance better.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Byrdman:

I just realized that the whole boom arm can be pulled out after you remove the grommet from the end and put in the other way.

I'm gonna go check mine. I've been putting up with the boom locking mechanism on the wrong side for years. I don't know why, but I never thought it would be that easy.

If it is --- duh, from me too :rolleyes: .

Originally posted by soundscape:

Just make sure this doesn't happen... :D

http://www.myvideo.de/watch/208935

Another good reason for having it at right angles!

I've had my patch changed in mid song by dancer's flailing arms - suddenly found myself playing accordian, then there was the singer who waved her hands around over my board while I soloed and managed to hit the power switch on the keyboard mixer, but yikes.

Archived