Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

S90ES upper octaves seem too quiet

jwendt99

Ok. I've been using an S80 for some time now, and am trying to move over to my new S90ES. But I'm not feeling it when playing the S90ES's Natural S piano. The S80 acoustic piano has a lot of bite and attack too it (even if the sample wasn't that great). I'm finding the S90ES Natural S piano to be really laid back. I also notice what seems like a different octave to octave volume balance on the S90ES (Natural S patch, and maybe other patches also). It seems like middle-C-ish and below is louder and stands out (when left-hand chording), but above middle-C, then right-hand single-note-at-a-time solos are really soft and take a lot of work to make them stand out at all. Has anyone had this experience and have any suggestions on how to make those higher registers be louder?

Thanks,

Jim

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by jwendt99:

Ok. I've been using an S80 for some time now, and am trying to move over to my new S90ES. But I'm not feeling it when playing the S90ES's Natural S piano. The S80 acoustic piano has a lot of bite and attack too it (even if the sample wasn't that great). I'm finding the S90ES Natural S piano to be really laid back. I also notice what seems like a different octave to octave volume balance on the S90ES (Natural S patch, and maybe other patches also). It seems like middle-C-ish and below is louder and stands out (when left-hand chording), but above middle-C, then right-hand single-note-at-a-time solos are really soft and take a lot of work to make them stand out at all. Has anyone had this experience and have any suggestions on how to make those higher registers be louder?

Thanks,

Jim

The S90ES pianos are very subtle, like a real acoustic piano, and yes, they will not cut through the mix, as programmed out of the box. Fortunately, you have a 5 level equalizer that will help you punch up any frequency range you wish.

But, if you want something in a preset close to the S80/S90 piano, try Full Grand (PRE1 A7) or Aggressive (PRE1 A10).

regards,

--kwgm

Archived