Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NAMM KC dinner 2007

Dave Bryce

Originally posted by steadyb:

Well, I'm bummed I won't be able to make it this year (since it's on a Thursday for the first time)... but my best to everyone, and hope to catch you guys next year. :thu:

Sorry you can't make it.

Happy (Future) Birthday, Gus.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by frostbyte:

If you can't squeeze me in, I am still up for the "share a bottle of Thunderbird in the parking lot" hour...

If you're that much fun, we'll let you in. :D

Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows:

Originally posted by frostbyte:

If you can't squeeze me in, I am still up for the "share a bottle of Thunderbird in the parking lot" hour...

If you're that much fun, we'll let you in. :D
He is, in fact, that much fun. :cool:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• 2 weeks later...
Now that the dinner is Thursday, has the time changed at all, or is it still around 7:30? I'm hoping it's earlier, but that's just me....

Well, I just called Buca to tell them that we're probably going to be over 20 (as we usually are) and was told that we have to sign up for a banquet deal. Fixed menu. Anything over 20 people. Way limited selections.

I'm not loving this. We've had no problem doing this every year, and have always been well over 20 people....and no one's ever said boo to me about banquet menu.

...although, on the other hand, with a party that size pretty much every other place is gonna require something like that.

Anyway, they have four options - $21.95, $25,95, $29.95 or $34.95 per person. We get to pick appetizer, pasta course, main course and dessert. The more $ paid, the more options appear (more menu items, more picks from each category, etc.)

...AND they want a non-refundable $200 deposit...

What shall I do with this new info?

dB

On the serious side, I have no idea Dave. Never been there and only saw the menu online. As far as I am concerned you decide on the level or if you want to go somewhere else. I'm sure enough of us can give you our part upfront to make the $200 cover charge. I can send you a check or or some other form of cash transfer. If you need it quick and can do paypall and I'll cover the charge.

Hey. Everyone that says they plan to show can pay you up front. Then for anyone that does not show, we can eat their food. I wonder if my hotel room has a frige? :cool:

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Thursday, Friday, it's all good...if we're kickin' in a bit for the deposit, lemme know.

Been doing a lot of recording and playing lately, so I don't always make it to this forum. If you're doing something that requires quick action, email me.

Originally posted by zxcvbnm098:

Dave, is there room for a Ventura County bro at the dinner table that night?

Are you still going there? Didn't hear a resolution to the banquet situation...

There should be room...

We have not resolved the banquet situation. Pretty much the only way to do it with Buca is to try to get an accurate head count (which is going to be next to impossible) and for me to take the $200 deposit out of my pocket - at least for now. Consequently, I'm avoiding dealing with it a little bit - I admit it.

I appreciate people offering to kick in...but that'll be too complicated to track, and I don't want to do that.

Also - I have to admit, this is kinda bumming me out. We've always been able to just walk into Buca and just order what we want, and it's worked out really well. Under their new plan, we get way less choices for food, and it'll cost us a bunch more. I'm not digging it, and will probably calla manager and try to get around it.

However, since I'm in Berlin this week, it probably ain't gonna happen in the next few days.

dB

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

However, since I'm in Berlin this week...

Really? That's awesome!!! Just this week, or do you think it'll turn into a long term gig? What about Terri Nunn??? Is she still the singer?

Originally posted by steadyb:

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

However, since I'm in Berlin this week...

Really? That's awesome!!! Just this week, or do you think it'll turn into a long term gig?
No, it's just this week.

What about Terri Nunn??? Is she still the singer?
Terri is still doing it, but I believe they're thinking about offering the gig to you.

dB

There's always McDonalds. Seriouslly, I'll eat anywhere. Just looking forward to finally meeting some of the group.

I hear some of the big names in the industry sometimes have parties at NAMM. Maybe we could all crash the same party at the same time. :)

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by Markyboard:

Hey Dave - any more room?

We never tie down the number nor turn anyone away from the forum dinner, nor have we ever had to. :thu:

As a matter of fact, the number of attendees is usually still fluctuating on the day of the dinner, and the final number I end up with is almost never the same as the amount of people who show up there.

That's the main problem we're having with the Buca thing this year. Read the freakin' thread, man... :D

dB

• 1 month later...

Okay, we're set with Buca for Thursday January 18th at 7:30 PM.

I talked to the manager of the place who has agreed to waive the prepay/preset menu thingy as long as I do them the courtesy of placing our order in advance so the kitchen knows what to expect from us.

I have no problem with that...much better than the alternative, I think.

What I need now is as accurate a headcount as possible. Here's what I have now:

dB + 3

Ernie Rideout

Steve Fortner

Michael Gallant

Ken Eleven Shadows

Erik Norlander

Bill Busch

TinderArts

Ivory CJ

Gus Lozada

Steve Nathan

EricG

Dave The Rave

zxcvbnm098

FrostByte

I'm sure there'll be more...if you're planning on attending and you can let me know that asap, it'd be really helpful. Also, if you're on this list and are bringing guests or are not going to make it, please let me know that as well.

Thanks!

dB

I won't be there until Saturday morning due to procrastination on the air ticketing, but will stop by various booths at the show that some of the members will be manning. My company does not rent a booth at NAMM; only at AES.

The restaurant is quite good; I ate there two years ago using one of the NAMM attendees discounts. It's pricey by my standards but for that area is in between moderate to expensive, and is very good quality food that is just a bit different from other Italian restaurants in the area and is well prepared and good value for the money. The quoted prices for banquet seem reasonable given the regular menu prices there.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Originally posted by musicbysterling:

My dinner plans with my Audiotechnica sales managment has changed and I would like to attend the dinner as well. Can I get in?????

Yes.

The only difference this year will be that since I will be trying to order our food before the actual dinner, it may be difficult to accommodate those who don't let us know in advance that they're planning on attending.

dB

Originally posted by Mark Schmieder:

The restaurant is quite good; I ate there two years ago using one of the NAMM attendees discounts. It's pricey by my standards but for that area is in between moderate to expensive, and is very good quality food that is just a bit different from other Italian restaurants in the area and is well prepared and good value for the money.

We do this dinner at Buca pretty much every year. It always seems to work out nicely.

The quoted prices for banquet seem reasonable given the regular menu prices there.
It's not, though.

We usually pull it off for much less than the banquet prices would make it cost, even including drinks. Plus, we've always liked the flexibility of being able to order anything off of the menu - I'd really rather not be restricted to the banquet menu.

That's why I called the manager and arranged to not have to do that. :thu:

dB

Archived