Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

digitally sampled pianos ... some thoughts ... mostly rambling

Dave Horne

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by burningbusch:

I've got to say, when I listen to the Yamaha digital pianos I hear a very familiar sound across the line. Some of these I've own and played extensively, others from banging in stores. Over the last few years I've heard three distinct piano sounds from Yamaha.

1) P series, "Full Grand" (Motif ES, S90ES), CP33/300. Recording of a Yamaha CFIIIS grand; little to no ambience--anechoic chamber.

3) PLG-AP. New recording of a Yamaha CFIIIS. More ambience and a darker overall tone.

[snip]

Any one agree/disagree? Certainly there are some differences, but the vibe of these pianos feels the same to me.

Motif ES and P250 sound like they are probably derived from the same sampling session to me.

CP300 sounds like the "new" standard in sampling. (Sloppy work with imperfections, room ambience, etc...) Though the room ambience part is hard to say just going by the demo. However, there certainly seem to be flaws and imperfections to the sound in the demo.

I just got a Nord Electro 2, and the grand piano sound is pretty good. It doesn't blow me away, but it's really quite usable, and better than anything else I've got. My next best piano is the Kurzweil MicroPiano. I mention this only because people are talking about the Nord Stage pianos, and perhaps the Electro 2 sounds similar???

I'm a little late chiming in here, but I went with the Nord Stage, in considerable part, because of the "continuously upgradeable" feature. I truly like their current piano, but I have faith that they will continue to improve it. Nord's track record has demonstrated their dedication to this philosophy. One can only hope other manufacturers will run with this idea as well.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I don't know that upgrading ONE generation is a wise investment. Manf's take baby steps in what they release. Primarily because the technology doesn't change all that fast, and the cost of newer technology rules out a lot of players.

Most electronic instruments are build from a final cost perspective. Most manufacturers can produce a great sounding product, but a lot of musicians can't afford to run out and spend megabucks on instruments every few years.

I waited 12 years before I upgraded from a Roland digital piano to a Yamaha Motif ES8. The improvement in the sound and capability was astounding. Obvously, I don't want to wait another 12 years to get a new and better instrument, I'll probably be dead by then. But buying a new KB every 2 or even 3 years will have minimal improvement when compared to the cost.

However, if you have an instrument that is driving you nuts NOW, or you just made a bad decision to begin with, dump it while it still might bring in some $$ and get something that sounds good and is satisfying to play.

There will ALWAYS be "new and improved" versions of most everything. I'm not interested in keeping up with the Jones. Hell, I don't even know them. What's more, they may still prefer yellow Cadillacs. ;)

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Originally posted by MikeT156:

I don't know that upgrading ONE generation is a wise investment. Manf's take baby steps in what they release. Primarily because the technology doesn't change all that fast, and the cost of newer technology rules out a lot of players.

Most electronic instruments are build from a final cost perspective. Most manufacturers can produce a great sounding product, but a lot of musicians can't afford to run out and spend megabucks on instruments every few years.

I waited 12 years before I upgraded from a Roland digital piano to a Yamaha Motif ES8. The improvement in the sound and capability was astounding. Obvously, I don't want to wait another 12 years to get a new and better instrument, I'll probably be dead by then. But buying a new KB every 2 or even 3 years will have minimal improvement when compared to the cost.

However, if you have an instrument that is driving you nuts NOW, or you just made a bad decision to begin with, dump it while it still might bring in some $$ and get something that sounds good and is satisfying to play.

There will ALWAYS be "new and improved" versions of most everything. I'm not interested in keeping up with the Jones. Hell, I don't even know them. What's more, they may still prefer yellow Cadillacs. ;)

Mike T.

Mike, because of your post I'm dumping my FP5 I'm not quite happy with, and buying RD700SX or Nord Stage. You are right, life is to short to play on something not good enough. :thu:
♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

I definatly agree that the Manf's. take baby steps. Thats how they get rich. I truly believe that most people forget that the Manf's. priority is NOT the consumer. It is there Profit that is their priority. Of course that is business 101.

Along the lines of upgrading, I wanted to get a board that I was going to keep for many years. Hoping to get away from the obsession of researching every board on the market and simply practice/play/record.

Long story short I ended up with the S90ES. I was pulling my hair out over this or the MotifES8 at the time. Ufortunatly finding a GEM, Kawai, or even Kurz around here is like finding a needle in a haystack. However Roland, Yam, and Korg are like locust, everywhere.....

I wanted the sequecner for the quick ability to record spontanious ideas (without having to fire up the comp.) also the sampling ability I thought would give me the upgrade abiility I wanted, so I wouldnt have to upgrade to a newer board in a few years.

However, the Full Grand on the ES8 was just un-acceptable to me. An awsome piano being my top priority. The S90ES piano was MUCH better. Also the cost of the ES8 was considerably more. I know that I could of gone with the ES8 and then added memory and then better sampled pianos, however that would of really drove the final cost investment through the roof, as compared to the S90ES.

At this point several months later, although the piano on the S90ES is very decent, I know theres room for improvment. Also, not having at least a scratch pad sequencer is annoying me.

So, Im right back to the lack of upgrade-ability, (aside from software - and being chained to the comp of course) and no sequencer dilemah. Im not against software, infact Im looking at those options as well, I would just prefer everything onboard.

Anyways, I'll be looking very closely at Yamaha's or 'who-evers' next workstation. I really hope they dont put a lousy piano in it. That will really pixx me off.

What I find mind boggling is that with all the technoligy we have that we still seem to have to make such sacrafices when buying a keyboard. I mean all they really are is a computer with a primary focus on making sounds. We can buy a computer, monitor, printer, etc etc for less then a $1000, but a computer (keyboard) thats only focus is sound generation with a tiny screen should be able to do everything that we All (reasonbably) are always wanting it to do. Especially in the 2k-3k price range.

However back to the top of the thread, baby steps, is for a reason, PROFIT, NOT consumer satisfaction.

Archived