Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

roland xp50

Hi,

I have just purchased a second hand roland xp50 of ebay. I have found a few things on it that seem a bit strange so I was wondering if anyone has one and know what I am experiencing?

1. apparently the disk drive light should be lit perminently but mine only lights up when loading or saving.

2.when I push the mod, bender lever up. some patches have a sort of glitch sound as the sound starts to add vibrato. this only happens now and then not all the time.

3.the sequencer light is lit all the time, is this right?

4.alpha dial only works properly if I push down hard other wise it does its own thing.

5.is it possible to pan individual tones in a patch? I used the common pan setting but all it did was pan the whole patch.

Please help.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by billy curries arp odyssey:

Hi,

I have just purchased a second hand roland xp50 of ebay. I have found a few things on it that seem a bit strange so I was wondering if anyone has one and know what I am experiencing?

1. apparently the disk drive light should be lit perminently but mine only lights up when loading or saving.

I believe it's supposed to be lit all the time, but with a stronger light when it's working. Probably, one led got out of commission. It shouldn't be a problem.

2.when I push the mod, bender lever up. some patches have a sort of glitch sound as the sound starts to add vibrato. this only happens now and then not all the time.

Um, I don't know. Maybe a little internal cleaning of the lever is in order.

3.the sequencer light is lit all the time, is this right?

Yes, unfortunately. The only workaround is to sync the sequencer to external MIDI - without feeding any MIDI clock to it.

4.alpha dial only works properly if I push down hard other wise it does its own thing.

Roland alpha dials often go wrong with time. Get ready to replace it.

5.is it possible to pan individual tones in a patch? I used the common pan setting but all it did was pan the whole patch.

If you pan from the common page, of course it will affect the whole patch. There's a pan control in tone edit mode.

Tone pan is in TVA (last edit group) along with tone level and velocity sensitivity. I can't remember if there's a "palette" button on the XP-50 but if there is you could set them all from there on the same screen. If not you'll have to do them on each tone's individual screen.

It's been over 10 years since I sold my XP-50, but I think the disc drive light is off if empty, on dim if there's a disc in, and on bright if loading or saving. I can't remember about the sequencer light.

Everything else sounds like old age.

Archived