Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Poly 61 help

zmd

i have an old beast, and its exhibiting some issues.

all the patches are randomly jumping up a fifth every 4 or 5 keystrokes, and about half the patches are producing a low low drone of noise the whole time that patch is selected,whether i play notes or not...

any ideas?

so, its not so much about curing it as it is about hiding it...to help spread it faster

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like it *might* be in need of a good cleaning, specifically the key contacts.

That may not be the only problem, though. If you're really looking to fix it, I'd suggest taking it to an authorized Korg service center; you can contact Korg Canada for the closest one to you (I think MusicStop might be one, but there's no mention of service on their website).

Good luck.

Two things:

1. Take it into a service center and have them check the power supply voltages.

2. I forget how to reset the machine. But if you haven't done this, it's always a good thing to try.

3. Again, I can't remember... but if there's a battery on the motherboard, be sure to check it and/or replace it. This probably is not the problem, but it's always good to check.

4. Dust/dirt. Open the unit & blow the dust out. Pull the plugs on the motherboard and reseat them. Check for any loose solder joints and/or cracks in the circuit boards. Smell for any charred areas near the power supply.

OK that's 4 decent things to try - all for the price of 2. I'm in a generous mood today. :)

Good luck.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Originally posted by sizzlemeister:

It will cost more to fix than the synth is worth.

"...in my opinion." is what I'm assuming you left off. :rolleyes:

If it's his main axe, and has been the source of a unique group of sounds for his own material, I'd guess he might value it a little higher than you, no? :thu:

nah, its not even my synth, i like my dx21...a bandmate loaned it to me saying if i know how to fix it, i could maybe get it off him cheap. it is of no sentimental value to me, and i know he got it cheap, so when we take it apart, if its acid filled, i'm sure he'll toss it out.

thanks tho guys!

so, its not so much about curing it as it is about hiding it...to help spread it faster

Sven Golly taught me that Google is your friend.

So I Googled Korg Poly 61.

Sure enough, I came across a site that discusses the battery problem in the Polysix that could also apply to the Poly 61.

CLONK HERE

This site has pictures and a great explanation about the battery. Since it's a nickel-cadmium design - and over twenty years old - it is prone to die (best case) and leak (worst case).

CHECK OUT THIS PICTURE

This is just one more reason why the folks here on the Keyboard Corner ROCK. This is certainly information you can use.

Good luck. :thu:

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

bob overton in austin has a shop appropriately named resurection electronics if memory serves... and has been known to play with hthese things... even built some of his own parts... the batteriy always was an issue but if lucky can be cleaned up.. i've done it... but in the end ya still have to ask is it worth it??? btw.. the sounds have to be loaded from a tape i think so there's another caveate
"style is determined not by what you can play but what you cant...." dave brubeck

I've done the work myself on a P61, not to mention a few P6s. The P61 can be more of a pain because of the location of the battery IIRC. At least on the P6 it's off to the side of the PCB and the only real critical IC in the immediate area is the CPU. You're mainly left repairing traces. I think on the P61 there are a few more critical ICs right in the area. So not only do you have to replace more ICs, you have to repair/jump traces.

It's all bench costs with some parts thrown in - probably around $150 or so to do it right (if the tech is good). Plus shipping costs back and forth.

The P61 sounds pretty good but is married to a horrible UI with too many limitations. It basically does excellent analog organs and some mean synth sounds but that's about it. You get a better filter in the DW8000, basically everything is better in the DW. For the $225 you'd spend repairing the P61 you could get the DW and sell the harvested parts from the P61.

Originally posted by sizzlemeister:

Clearly you don't understand the nature of the damage.

:rolleyes:

Clearly you like to gloss over other peoples' points.

You've said that the fix might cost $225. If you can put away your "I'm a tech and I've fixed dozens of these things" hat for a moment, and consider that it might have had some sentimental value for him, like perhaps it was the first synth he ever got, when he met Joseph Zawinul in the hallway and gave him his bottle of Coca-Cola (does anyone here remember those Mean Joe Green Coke commercials? ;) ). Just because it's not worth the cost and effort to you, doesn't mean that value judgement applies to everyone.

Archived