Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: What size violin for my kids?

daBowsa

Hi all.

As we know, Brook Mays is going out of business - the local one has a bunch of school rental violins for sale. Violin, case, bow - most under $100.

Here's the sizing chart - http://www.stringseason.com/cmw/violinsizing.html

I have two kids, 1 and 3 years old, whom I'd like to try piano, violin, flute, whatever. I have tons of instruments just lying around the house.

I was thinking of getting a 1/8, a 1/2, and a full. Is this reasonable to think my wife and I could play the full, and the kids could start with the 1/8 and move up to the 1/2 and eventually the full?

Or am I way off base? Or does no one put their kids in violin lessons anymore and no one has any better clue than I do?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ben,

We enrolled our two daughters in piano lessons first to get the basic concepts.

For our daughter who wanted to learn the violin, we rented a smaller size - based on her going to the music store and trying them out. I forget exactly which size it was, but their policy was that when she outgrew one size, she could move to a larger size at no additional cost.

When she decided to continue her violin lessons, we purchased one. It wasn't cheap.

Then she auditioned for high school orchestra and was accepted - if she would play viola. We purchased one. It wasn't cheap.

For Christmas a few years back, she decided that she really wanted to play mandolin. She likes bluegrass music - Nickel Creek, etc. So we purchased one and, you guessed it - it wasn't cheap.

She has continued her lessons and is considering a music major in college.

My point? You may be better off considering the rental of a violin instead of a purchase... even though the price is right.

I'd still start with piano lessons first.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

No doubt we'll be doing piano lessons. It just seemed like this was a good deal, and didn't know if I should jump on it, or what. Even if they never started violin, $80 seems like a reasonable risk, especially if I could eBay it later. I don't know...

If you're daughter is still into Nickel Creek and the mandolin, you might consider the Chris Thile (of Nickel Creek) DVD for Christmas, or similar, which I hear is quite good.

And Tom, you forgot the "priceless" part at the end of your little commercial there. :D

Originally posted by daBowsa:

And Tom, you forgot the "priceless" part at the end of your little commercial there. :D

Just after I posted it, I KNEW it was missing something.

Oh what the hell. I can post some more. :rolleyes::D

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

"I have two kids, 1 and 3 years old, whom I'd like to try piano, violin, flute, whatever."

Do your kids know the difference between a plastic bat and a violin? I don't think you will be delaying them much if you just let them grow a few more years before putting the pressure of lessons on them.

Archived