Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland RD-300sx

harky_123

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'll find a variety of opinions as piano sound is a very personal experience for each person. As an example I found the sound and action on the RD300Sx to be disappointing and liked many other choices over it. Some will agree with me and others will disagree. In the end it all comes down to what you want and what works best for you.

You can do a search on both those models for additional information.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

I have been playing electronic keyboards since the late 50's, of one type or another. The RD300SX is one of the best ones I have played and factoring in the weight, I would rate it 5 stars +. I have a Motif ES Rack with the AP expansion board in it, and I prefer the RD300's piano sound. I love the hammer action on the 300 as well, and I get nothing but compliments on the sound from some pretty good musicians that I work with. Good action, great sounds, good key bass, light, and 88 keys. It doesn't get any better than that as far as I am concerned.

I couldn't get on with the action on the 300SX at all - far too light (I'm more of a pianist than a keyboard player, so that's probably a factor), but there was nothing wrong with the sounds. For similar money, I very nearly went for Yam P90 as the action was much better (though the sounds were much more limited), but in the end I stumped up the extra for a 700SX, which I couldn't be happier with (except for the weight, of course).

I liked the RD300SX action and piano in the store and in headphones. I didn't like it on my live jazz gigs. The piano sounded muffled but then too bright when the hard strike was played. I couldn't control it. The action also didn't return as well as my earlier stiffer version action in my FP2 (Roland has since changed all FP2 actions over to the RD-300SX action).

I sold the RD-300SX, which I would much rather have than the awfull RD-700, and prefer the siunds in my XV-2020 + SRX-11 + SRX-12 combination. My FP2 action is more responsive than my RD-300SX was.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I always thought the RD300SX was a gem in the Roland range. I played it for hours in the shop.. then I played the RD700SX and thought it sounded inferior... thing is I'mnow starting to wonder if it was the 700SX and if I just assumed it was because it was in the shop. It had a colour screen,does that sound like the SX?

Originally posted by orangefunk:

I always thought the RD300SX was a gem in the Roland range. I played it for hours in the shop.. then I played the RD700SX and thought it sounded inferior... thing is I'mnow starting to wonder if it was the 700SX and if I just assumed it was because it was in the shop. It had a colour screen,does that sound like the SX?

The RD700SX has a blue & white mono screen. It sounds like you were playing the Fantom X.

I've been using the RD300SX quite a bit. I also have the RD700SX and others. The action is light but it still works for me. I get the control of a weighted action but it's light enough to allow me to do some things I can't do on a heavily weighted action. For example, I use it to control a Yamaha VL1m. The VL1m has wonderful legato if you control it properly. I can get it to sound the way I want with the RD300SX but not the RD700SX. Also, fast synth and B3 lines are possible for me with the RD300SX. So as a compromise action, it works out very well for me.

I am primarily using it as a controller. It's not that I can't use the internal sounds, it's that I need to carry a rack and I can fill the rack with the best sounds. As a controller it's fairly limited with only two external zones. Still, you can get to the setups quickly using the buttons.

Busch.

Originally posted by burningbusch:

Originally posted by orangefunk:

The RD700SX has a blue & white mono screen. It sounds like you were playing the Fantom X.

Busch.

Ahh.. I think it was the RD700SX then... I just remember the bright blue screen and I assumed it was full colour... but yeah, seems like I wasn't as impressed with the RD700SX.. but it was in a shop and customers do fool around with settings I suppose.

I played the RD700SX and RD300SX side to side, and my impression was that while I wasn't crazy about the keyboard on the 700, it was certainly designed for piano players, with the right kind of resistance and response. The keyboard on the 300, on the other hand, felt too light and inconsistent for my hands, really difficult to control dynamics on that in my opinion. The sound wasn't bad, though.

Archived