Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Quirky Nord Stage - Advisory Request

Moonglow

I have a Nord Stage (88) sitting in my music room at the moment. Picked it up at Sweetwater Music last Tuesday while I was on a business-related trip in Fort Wayne, Indiana. In general, I have found that the more I screw around with it, the more I like it.....Ill probably end up keeping it. Ive found that it really has more capabilities than may first meet the eye, and I would encourage anyone considering the acquisition of a Stage to tweak the heck out of it before making a decision.

Anyhow, I was reading another thread in which a respondent characterized the Stages acoustic piano as "quirky," which I generally agree with....but in a good sort of way. It strikes me as similar to the (rare) experience of when you come across a weathered but good house grand piano at a hotel....idiosyncrasies and all.

To continue with the "quirky" theme, I have the Stage MIDIed to a Korg Trinity, and when I adjust the 4' drawbar on the Stage, this raises/lowers the Trinitys volume: As I increase the value of the drawbar, the patch on the Trinity becomes louder; as the value of the drawbar decreases, the volume lowers....Yet, for another Trinity patch, increasing/decreasing the 4' drawbar shifts the Trinity patch +/- one octave! Incidentally, I am using the SAME patch on the Stage, and none of the other drawbars appear to affect any other parameters on the Trinity. I can eliminate the above phenomena by changing the Stage's MIDI Control Change parameter to the Off position. But.....why is this occurring? My inclination is that this is some sort of MIDI cc message, but I noticed that in the MIDI Implementation section at the end of the manual, Organ Drawbar 4 is assigned MIDI Controller # 16. So, if Organ Drawbar 4 consistently uses Controller # 16 why does it seem to be affecting two different parameters on the Trinity (i.e., volume, octave shift)? Am I missing something in a deeper page of controller functions, or perhaps the Extern section? I now know just enough about the Stage, and MIDI in general, to be dangerous (i.e., drastically screw things up), so any help would be deeply appreciated. Thanks!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MIDI CC# 16 - 19 are considered general purpose controllers. They are commonly used my synth manufacturers and often change on a patch-by-patch basis. That way you can use a keyboard controller that has two knobs sending out CC# 16 and #17. On one patch #16 might change chorus intensity and another patch filter cutoff. It doesn't sound like the Stage is acting up at all in your situation.

BTW, if you would take a look at my Nord Stage thread below and see if you have similar experience with regards to dynamics.

Busch.

Originally posted by burningbusch:

MIDI CC# 16 - 19 are considered general purpose controllers. They are commonly used my synth manufacturers and often change on a patch-by-patch basis. That way you can use a keyboard controller that has two knobs sending out CC# 16 and #17. On one patch #16 might change chorus intensity and another patch filter cutoff. It doesn't sound like the Stage is acting up at all in your situation......

Thanks for the info/MIDI lesson, Busch, I appreciate it! I presume the "MIDI cc" messages would all be done through the Stage's "Extern" section, correct?

.....BTW, if you would take a look at my Nord Stage thread below and see if you have similar experience with regards to dynamics.

Busch.

Done! See your thread for my response.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Archived