Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

best and worst keyboards ever

zephonic

I still love my RD-500 after 12 years. Sure, wave MB has been surpassed by other units all these years later, but the ability to make program changes on the fly on tone modules and the still excellent piano sound and other useful tones make this still one of the greatest keyboards ever. The clav sound is also incredible, I often wince when playing other clav sounds on the latest tone modules and keyboards, they don't even come close. I don't break hammers anymore after I thickened up the felts on it. I finally got around to getting a backup 500 6 months ago and took the shell of it and placed it on my newly rebuilt keybed.

JH

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Zeph, ya seem a little biased towards nostalgia :P The XP series of Roland just keeps failing to impress me. I owned a JV1010, and that wasn't that much better, though I loved it when I first got it.

I play a Korg Triton Extreme now and I must say, it's the best keyboard I've ever owned, it's incredibly capable and has been able to handle anything I've needed it for. Couple that with a nice gradual learning curve, and enough great sounds to choke a horse (yes, choke a horse with sound, shut up) and it's simply a killer board. Also, though it seems gimmicky, I have used the tube on several patches and I find that it really adds a little bit of balls to the sound.

The DSI Polyevolver is another board that really impresses me, but I need more time with it before I can put it up there.

Worst without question, the AX1. I love having a keytar, but I really freakin' hate this keytar. The AX7 is better, but not by a lot. Firstly, why can't a keytar look cool? Why must they be weird and nubbly?

Hmm... Guitar http://www.kickmusic.no/ehandel/BilderImp/803/25beast-platinumpros-tor.jpg

Keytar

http://www.eis.com.pl/virtual/images/nasztyp/rolandAX7.jpg

And another thing... there's a wireless midi controller but it's a stupid 25 note mini keyboard? Why not build that into a friggin keytar, jerks!?!??

/rant

"...Keytar in a heavy metal band is nothing more than window dressing" - Sven Golly

Cursed Eternity - My Band

Dick Ward - My Me

Archived