Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sing-A-Long Tunes - What works for you?

ITGITC

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by misterdregs:

Originally posted by Ed Coury:

Mustang Sally is intolerable for me as it is. If I had to lead the audience into a sing along with it, I would probably implode.

The best response to "sing alongs" I've heard have been those obscene dueling-piano songs...the names of which are so outrageous, so profound and disgusting...'decorum prohibits listing them here'.

***BONUS Keyboard Corner TRIVIA: The first person to tell us the name of the film which featured that 5-sentence phrase at the end of my post wins a shout out!

BTW, Bluesman Johnny Rawls has a sticker on his guitar- a red circle with a diagonal line over "Mustang Sally".
There's a blues bar in town that has a sign like that -- No Mustang Sally. My band plays that song (of course we do), and I've long asked for its removal, but for whatever reason, the crowds seem to really like it, so we have kept playing it.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Originally posted by stepay:

My band plays that song (of course we do), and I've long asked for its removal, but for whatever reason, the crowds seem to really like it, so we have kept playing it.

I understand. Mustang Sally has definitely been overplayed.

However, for the corporate band it has become a staple of our repertoire and everyone expects it.

The reason is that Cathy, our lead vocalist, invites all the women in the audience to come up on stage... to dance, and strut, and shake their booty.

By the time we play the song, everyone has had a bit to drink. It is amazing to see... especially from my vantage point (backline). ;)

So yes, I agree that there are many other tunes that should replace it. But the benefits are so good, that I figure the best thing to do is to roll with it. If it makes the audience happy and gets the ladies on stage, it makes me happy too. :D

You guys have some great suggestions... all except The Hokey Pokey. I played in a wedding band with a guy from Long Island. He played sax - always sharp. But he had the van, the PA, and the rehearsal room. Again, a regional thing... he told us that in the NorthEast everybody loved it when the band played this song at wedding receptions. Ugh. :rolleyes:

OK - The Hokey Pokey or... Mustang Sally?

You decide. :(;)

Is There Gas In The Car?

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Originally posted by sudeep:

ive found that nothing gets a crowd of 20/30 somethings going and singing better than Living on a Prayer!!!

Yup that works. So does "What I Got" (Sublime) for this age group. Also "Highway To Hell" for most anyone with enough spirits in them. For people my age, I can count on a response to "Lil' Red Riding Hood"... but only the howls. We're just getting too old to "sing along" I guess...

Archived