Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

VL70m ?

Ian Sharrock

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love it. Very VERY cool expressive sounds. Monophonic, though.

You need a breath controller for your keyboard or a wind controller to get the most out of it.

It's got BC input if your board doesn't.

If you want to take the sounds to the next level, check out Patchman Music's VL70m sound library. I haven't bought it yet, but am planning to.

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

I like it so much that I wasted countless hours last year bidding on (and losing) eBay auctions for the superior VL1m.

One of these days I'll buy Patchman's replacement ROM's. The limitation of six custom voices is quite severe for gigging purposes -- though it's OK for the studio.

I use the VL70m a lot, but of course it isn't a general-purpose synth and is monophonic. I primarily think of it as my "virtual trumpet", but use it for quite a few other sounds, and intend to eventually build up playing technique for strings as I suspect I'll get better results than through sample libraries (with enough practice).

I have been on stage at the same time as a live trumpet player, using the WX5 with the VL70m, playing harmonised and lead parts back and forth with the live player. The audience couldn't tell which was which. That's how good the VL70m is.

Of course I was using Patchman's voice libraries and not the internal presets. Some of the presets are good, but they don't even begin to uncover what this unique synth is capable of.

Even though the physical modeling technology is quite old by now, the VL70m still does a more realistic job of several instruments than Arturia's more recent Brass soft synth.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Archived