Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Costco laptop deal

Jazz+

Will it be a stable host for Ivory piano?

This seems like too good a deal.

Is there some problem with the model?

VALID July 31 - Aug 6

$999

HP Pavilion DV5237 15.4" Widescreen Notebook

Intel Core Duo

2 GB Memory

120GB Hard Drive

DVD+/- RW DL

Remote Control

Windows XP

Media Center Edition

Warehouse price $1199

off at register $200 with COUPON

YOUR COST $999.99

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did a couple quick searches, it seems the only drawbacks I can find are 1- shared video memory, and 2- this is sort of a closeout model as there is supposedly something new in the works.

Personally, I've never had a problem buying computer technology that is 1 or 2 generations old- the specs on this box are fine, lots of memory, decent hard drive, double layer dvd, tons of ports- usb, firewire, etc, and the price is right.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Thanks DanL,

I'm wondering if it has Wi-fi inside or if I would have to buy a seperate card.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

This is what I found- yes it does have wi fi.

The HP Pavilion dv5000 series notebook PCs combine desktop PC power with mobile computing convenience. Surf the Net, send email and complete computing tasks using a full-featured notebook PC with a 15.4-inch widescreen display. Enjoy HP BrightView technology for rich, lush color and dazzling high-definition detail. With HP QuickPlay, DVDs, digital photos and music jump to life at the touch of a button.

Processor & Memory:

* Intel® Core Duo Processor T2400 (1.83GHz) with Centrino® Duo mobile technology

* 2MB L2 cache

* 667MHz front side bus

* 2GB DDR2 SDRAM (2 x 1GB)

Drives:

* 120GB SATA hard drive (5,400RPM)

* SuperMulti 8x DVD±RW drive with Double

Layer Support

Graphics & Video:

* 15.4" WXGA BrightView widescreen display; 1280 x 800 native resolution

* Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950; 128MB dynamically allocated video memory (shared)

Communications:

* Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG WLAN

Integrated 10/100BASE-T Ethernet LAN

Integrated 56K modem

Audio:

* Built-in Altec Lansing speakers

Keyboard:

* 101-key compatible keyboard

* Touch Pad with dedicated vertical scroll up/down pad

* QuickPlay music and DVD launch buttons

* HP Mobile Remote Control

Expandability:

* One ExpressCard/54 Slot (also supports ExpressCard/34)

* One Type I/II 32-bit card bus (also supports 16-bit)

Ports:

* 6-in-1 digital media card reader supports SmartMedia, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, MultiMediaCard, Secure Digital and xD picture cards

* Three USB 2.0 ports

* IEEE 1394 (Firewire) port

* VGA (15-pin)

* TV-Out (S-video)

* RJ-11 (modem)

* RJ-45 (LAN)

* Expansion Port 2 connector

* Headphone out with S/PDIF digital audio

* Microphone in

* Consumer IR (remote receiver)

Operating System:

* Microsoft® Windows XP Media Center Edition

Additional Software:

* Microsoft Works

* Microsoft Money

* Microsoft MSN Encarta Plus

* Symantec Norton Internet Security (including 60 days complimentary live updates)

Power Supply:

* 6-cell Lithium Ion Battery

* 65W AC adapter

Additional Information:

* Weight (approximate): 6.5 lbs.

* Dimensions: 14.1 W x 10.4" D x 1.38/1.77" H

Warranty and Support:

* 1-Year limited hardware warranty

* 1-Year hardware technical support

* 90-day free software support (with product registration, from date of purchase)

[Model dv5237 / 11164869]

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Thanks

Will it be a stable host for Ivory piano?

You will probably run into problems because it's loaded with the Media Center edition of Windows XP.

Outside of that, the hardware is fine for Ivory's minimum requirements:

PC: RTAS, VST, Windows XP, Minimum 1.3 GHz P4 w/1 GB RAM.
The problem with stability often has very little to do with the hardware, but more to do with the way the operating system is configured. If you dedicate this laptop to Ivory (and other musical pursuits), you'll be fine. If you want to do everything with it, such as email, web browsing, games, your taxes, etc., then expect to have problems, regardless of the hardware specs.

I have to ask, though... does this incessant pursuit of the 'best piano sound' not get in the way of you just playing music? At some point, are you just going to cry out "enough" and be done with it and actually make some music? :freak:

Just curious... ;)

Originally posted by Sven Golly:

I have to ask, though... does this incessant pursuit of the 'best piano sound' not get in the way of you just playing music? At some point, are you just going to cry out "enough" and be done with it and actually make some music? :freak:

Just curious... ;)

I agree! Jazz+ is THE poster boy gear head for all things related to replicating the piano experience. Seems like you are happy with the Kawai ES4 and Roland SRX thing - not sure why you need to keep complicating it more with a laptop and software? I would think that your current hardware rig that you just bought would provide years of good music making if you could take your mind off of 'what else is out there for me to obsess over?' :D

As for the laptop, it sounds like a fine deal - go for it if you have the means to do it and if you think Ivory with your ES4 and SRX will be the ultimate gigging experience.

Regards,

Eric

Looks like a good deal.

Costco is an excellent reseller. They have had a six month return policy for computers, no hassle, no restocking fee. Compare that with anyone else. Check with them to ensure it's still in effect. Let them know that you're purchasing it for a specific purpose and might be returning it.

You should be aware, some PC laptops have hum issues when connected to external mixers/speakers. I've also had to turn off Wi-Fi as it can cause periodic pops.

It seems this has the capability to do what you want, but there are many factors.

Busch.

You'd be better off getting a Laptop that is made specifically for Audio recording, playback, and hosting purposes in my opinion. In other words, something that is used strictly for that purpose alone, with no other unnecessary software apps on the hard drive that could cause conflicts or use up much needed resources.

Shared video memory is not recommended and it would be better instead to get a Laptop with a dedicated Video card. ATI comes to mind as a good solid performer. Also, don't you want a dedicated Sound Card? It sounds like the HP has integrated audio too.

Another good idea is to get a Laptop with as fast a Hard Drive as possible. Hitachi makes a 7,200 RPM 2.5" Hard Drive that is an excellent performer and may save you from problems and glitches that slower spindle speed Hard Drives could encounter especially when you're dealing with Audio recording or VSTi hosting software.

And while the HP has an adequate CPU you could do better. You want the fastest CPU that you can afford because eventually you will need it with future software applications that need greater and greater read and write speeds and CPU clock cycles to operate optimally. The HP may work okay with Ivory if that's all you want to use with it. But if you wanted to use a different VSTi down the road that requires greater system requirements you may be required to 'upgrade' to run it. So to help future proof your Laptop try and get as bleeding edge as your finances allow from the start. If it requires you to finance the laptop to do so get the best interest rate you can before you sign on the dotted line. Some retailers allow 6 months same as cash while others offer no interest for 1 year, etc. Just don't default, okay? :D

Mike

Archived