Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

fruity loops

whatdoitype

does anybody use fruity loops, if so can you tell me what its all about? can you record audio in fruity loops? would you recommend fruity loops as my main software for making rythyms and songs maybe influenced by the postal service or xiu xiu or something?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I use Ableton Live, which I think is better than FL. You can do anything plus more in Live and it is a better interface. It also has loop time stretching which most of the other programs don't have.

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

i need somet hing i can record audio with (i know live does that) and im not sure if fruity loops does that. i need a program that i can playback audio from the stage but be able to mute audio tracks so that i can play audio tracks live while i have the midi kind of just stream. ive been using grid based things like garageband and traktion but the live and FL demos seem sort of complicated. they dont seem to be grid based programs and im more used to grids. i also noticed FL is cheaper then live, thats why i am drawn toward it. any suggestions on what i should buy? ive been thinking project mix or sonar or protools, i'm just not sure

I don't know what you mean by grids. Live has two interfaces. Session View and Arrangement View. One looks like your typical sequencer, the other looks like a sequence of loops. I don't know which you refer to as a "grid". It is the fact that you have these two alternatives that aid in music creation.

A lot of products bundle Live 4 (older version) for a very cheap price. I originally got a Live 4 with an M-Audio Oxygen 2 bundle for a little over a hundred. I've since upgraded to Live 5. Even Live 4 will have more features than FL.

Live has a unique interface so you'll just have to go through the whole demo. It is pretty easy to use in real life.

I like FruityLoops for building rhythms but it stops there. They have added recording and other features but have not updated the method for stringing patterns together into songs. What was fine for stringing drum patterns together into a song does not work well when you expand to all other parts and end up with 100+ patterns to manage. FL also has no way to use Acid or Rex files unless you buy another program.

Since the latest version of Acid Pro came out I hardly use FL. This has been the best release of Acid yet. Live is also nice but be warned, people seem to either love it or hate it. Get the demo of Live and Acid and give them a try. If you ever move on to a traditional DAW such as Sonar both Live and Acid can be used in conjunction with a DAW through Rewire.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I have yet to find a traditional DAW feature that I would need, that's missing in Live. I even use it as VST host and can even do layers and splits (took some figuring out though).

I third Jazzwee!

I think Live will suit you perfectly! Ive just got into using it over the last few weeks and its tutorials and demo videos are good enough to get stuck in quickly! You can edit the audio right inside the program and its very easy add effects, arrange stuff in grids as you wanted and output in any manner of ways.

DL a trial version and go through some tutorials. I thought id never leave Cubase behind but I'm wishing now I'd been using Live all those years.

The Big Spoon-Irish Funky Soul

www.bigspoon.ie

I bought Acid Music Studio for a nephiew. He enjoys it, but it is only for Acid loops. No instruments, no building drum patterns.

I have Kinetic 1 and am upgrading to Kinetic 2. Don't use it much but it does take a different approach from Acid. It uses MIDI patterns instead of recorded audio loops. Not bad for the price. Sort of like a hardware version of a Roland groove box.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Archived