Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Blues/Rock fingering question.

shniggens

Take a look at this transcription - http://eltonscafe.com/Songs/PDFfiles/BitchIsBackSolo.pdf

How should I finger those fast repeating blues licks in G? Should I use the second finger for the Bb to B slide? I tried this and couldn't play it evenly for the life of me.

I have small hands like Elton, so I can't really reach using 4 fingers. (1-2-3-5)

:wave:

Amateur Hack

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Assuming thumb is 1, first finger is 2, etc.

Even with rather small hands you should be able to do this 1, 2, 2, 5 (sliding 2 from Bb to B).

Can you play the B-G stretch with 2,5? If so, you should be able to do this. I assume you can span an octave from thumb to pinky, but even if you can't (while playing B with 2), you can rock your hand to make it work.

It's not too hard, just takes practice. However, be careful about carpal tunnel: interleave practicing this figure with other playing! Don't repeat it for much more than its duration in the song at a stretch. This is exactly the kind of lick that can really damage your nerves if you're not careful.

That's how I was practicing it, but it's hard to get it even at that fast of a pace. The finger has a tendancy to slide from the Bb to the B faster than it should. I'll just practice it more!
Amateur Hack

Right, that's one of many reasons why they don't slide in classical technique. Remember, it's pop music! Close is good enough, especially if you work to keep getting better.

Practice at a speed where the timing works and slowly speed up.

Archived