Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Old Polll: best piano...

Jazz+

This is the old poll, please vote in the new poll at:

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/18/t/018716.html

This old poll neglected to include a model.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jazz+

In the last 6 years, I've had a Yamaha P120, Roland 300SX and now the Kawai ES4. IMO, the Kawai ES4/MP4 has the least tiring action. I haven't played the MP8, which I know is heavier. However, I think the ES4 is probably a notch below the very best piano-like digitals. For its price range, its a very nice keyboard to play, especially for longer gigs.

Thanks Napster,

I agree, I played the Kawai MP4(ES4) and was right away impressed by it's comfortable relaxed action. The Kawai MP8 had quite a resistance at the after touch level half way down the key drop and that worried me.

I was more impressed with the sound of the MP8 and the RD-700SX than the MP4. So I'll have to make some compromise. I have to go back to the store and play/listen carefully to all three again (MP, RD and P).

Jazz+

Jazz+

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

The question is unanswerable. "Best" is a subjective term. What I consider "best" is filtered through my needs, prejudices, experience, and imperfect knowledge of what's out there. What's the point of this exercise?

(Mr. Grumpy)

Moe

---

Jazz+, I don't know why you never include the S90ES in all discussions about piano sound. The S90ES is the best piano sound in the entire Yamaha family of digitals/stage pianos, and IMHO, better than the P250. Is the bias against it because it is a synth? I use it primarily for piano (and rhodes) and I am so inspired by its expressiveness every time I play it. It's perfect for jazz too with its other sounds. Certainly the keys are more along your alley (not so heavy).

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

Archived