Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is this shipping price for real?

Cliffk

I'm interested in getting a pair of new studio monitors, and I'm leaning towards these KRK V8 s. But the only scary thing is the seller's shipping price: $350.00! Is this for real, or am I setting myself up to be ripped-off? I imported my Electro 73 from the USA and, unbelievably, got free shipping thrown in. I know that was a one-off, and perhaps I'm being naive but can it possibly be so much to ship 2 speakers to the UK?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's perhaps rather high, but yes, you are looking about probably US$150-200 at least, maybe it's due to the bulk as well as the weight. I'd be cautious over eBay sellers' shipping charges, but sometimes vendors will provide you with a figure that's estimated (=tends to be over-estimated.) Whether they're willing to refund the difference if you happen to find out the real shipping cost is another matter.

EDIT: I note it's for UPS shipping, so the rate is probably about right, you could always goto the UPS site and get a rough idea for yourself.

Here in the Netherlands we pay a 25% import tax and a 19% VAT.

The cheapest way for you is this - find an American stationed in your country and 'buy' him the speakers as a present. You will avoid all taxes. The items will be shipped at 'local' rates (US rates) since for the US Postal Office, a duty station in the UK is considered US soil.

I've had items shipped to a 'friend' in the Netherlands as well as in Germany.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

My gosh- That sounds outrageous!

Actually I checked UPS just now to see what a 32LB (slightly more than the specs give on the V8's) package would cost from my place in Arizona to London (I used a Roland Corp. address)and it came to 250$. That's still a lot!

I don't think it's worth it!

Don't they sell KRK's in Europe?

"Music should never be harmless."

Robbie Robertson

Originally posted by cliffk:

I'm interested in getting a pair of new studio monitors, and I'm leaning towards these KRK V8 s. But the only scary thing is the seller's shipping price: $350.00! Is this for real, or am I setting myself up to be ripped-off?

Have you heard these speakers? If not I strongly suggest hearing them before commiting.

There running about $1080 at GC. I was listening to a pair just Thursday A/B/C'd with a pair of Mackie HR8 and a pair of powered events. Sadly, since I liked the Mackies much better than the Events which in turn were better than the KRK's, that's also the order they were priced at - the Events were around 1200 (IIRC) and the Mackie's about 1500.

Originally posted by jook:

Where did you buy the Electro with free shipping? :)

Jook, I bought it from jrr_shop on ebay, and had no problems with their service, but they don't seem to have the Electro 73 in stock at the moment. However, check HERE for a similar deal.

One thing though: the voltage used in the US is 110V as compared to that in the UK (and Europe generally), which is 240V. So if you live in a 240V zone, remember to flip the internal switch BEFORE you plug the board in - otherwise, you'll probably have to get a new motherboard! Hope this helps.

(Oops, just seen that free shipping at the shop above is only for the continental US). Do check around further, though.

Using his shipping calculator, for UPS ground from him to me costs $62.

According to UPS.com, a 32lb package from him to me should cost $37.

One way eBay sellers make a little extra money is advertise super low prices, but jack up the shipping. They use the calculator to be "up front" about it, but when you set this up on eBay, you enter the weight and a shipping and handling fee.

It looks like he's basing this calculator on something like 60lbs and adding $10-15 for S/H.

If you like the price, contact him and tell him you can't afford to pay that price for shipping - he may be willing to recalculate the international rate if there are no other bidders.

Then again, if he's trying to pull scams like x2 shipping, you may want to steer clear.

Archived