Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Real difference between RD-700sx and SRX-11

Jazz+

I am wondering if there is a real difference between the RD-700SX piano sound and the SRX -11 card "Complete Piano". Some of the posts in the review section at H.C. say that the SRX-11 is inferior sounding to the RD-700SX. There is quite some inconsistencies among the reviews:

http://www.harmony-central.com/Synt...te_Piano-1.html

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried the SRX-11 card in my RD-700 hoping that I could benefit from the new piano sample. While the SRX-11 card may be the same sample that's in the RD-700sx, I wasn't able to get usable results with it. It just didn't sound right. I'm told that using the card in the Fantom series allows more parameter tweaking.

I bought the RD700sx and have been very happy with its sound, playablilty, and build.

Good luck,

k.

Hi ksoper,

What do you mean by "usable results"? Did it have a dull muffled sound? Or bad velocity transitions where it goes form too mellow to too bright??

J+

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Take anything those Harmony Central "reviewers" say with a grain of salt. Several of them.

My Roland US friends tell me that the RD700SX piano is basically the SRX-11 piano with one less layer. There IS a difference, but it doesn't mean it's any less usable on the 700SX. I have a friend with a Fantom X with SRX-11 installed, and while I haven't compared it side-to-side with my own RD700SX, I have played several gigs on his Fantom and haven't noticed the SRX-11 piano to be dramatically different-sounding in any way than the 700SX.

For me, it's about how playable it is by itself. To me, it sounds like you need to just spend some time with it and see if it suits you.

Current live rig: Roland RD700SX, Hammond XK-3 with Leslie System 21, and Muse Receptor. Also a Nord Stage 76 other times instead. And a Roland FP-7 for jazz gigs.

HOME: Kawai MP8 + a bunch of VI's.

I was thinking I was the only person that experienced that; I purchased one for my VR-760, and have been trying to tweak it into something that sounds great for quite a while now, with little luck. I used to have a Fantom XR with the SRX-11 in it, and it sounded absolutely gorgeous with little coaxing. I'm wondering if the newer boards (Fantom, etc.) are actually better equipped for the SRX cards than some of the others?

Originally posted by ksoper:

I tried the SRX-11 card in my RD-700 hoping that I could benefit from the new piano sample. While the SRX-11 card may be the same sample that's in the RD-700sx, I wasn't able to get usable results with it. It just didn't sound right. I'm told that using the card in the Fantom series allows more parameter tweaking.

I bought the RD700sx and have been very happy with its sound, playablilty, and build.

Good luck,

k.

Originally posted by wd8dky:

I was thinking I was the only person that experienced that; I purchased one for my VR-760, and have been trying to tweak it into something that sounds great for quite a while now, with little luck. I used to have a Fantom XR with the SRX-11 in it, and it sounded absolutely gorgeous with little coaxing. I'm wondering if the newer boards (Fantom, etc.) are actually better equipped for the SRX cards than some of the others?

The most common tweak for an acoustic piano sound after EQ and effects is amplitude decay. Everyone has a different opinion on how this should be set. Some like a singing piano, some like it percussive, with everything in between. On a full-featured synth like the Fantom, after initial rise, you can set decay in three stages in TVA, plus the speed you want the stages to cycle as you move further up the keyboard, so there's a lot of flexability there.

I'm not sure of the editing capabilities of a VR-760 ot RD-700SX.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by wd8dky:

Originally posted by ksoper:

Good luck,

k.

In what way does it sound different when in your VR-760?

I've been gigging for about a year with a Fantom S88/SRX-11 pretty much every week. My gigs are 90% piano sounds.

I also borrowed a RD700SX from the local music store for a couple of weekends a while back.

I would say that there's very little difference between the two (piano-wise) - in the sound and the way they play.

The samples are definitely the same (to my ears), and the tone of the two is very close.

The keys on the 700SX have a little nicer texture to them.

Also, I thought that the 700SX maybe had a little smoother velocity switching, but I've modified the patches on the S88 to be very close.

I always thought that Keyboard should have done a review on the SRX-11 when they did the RD700SX (RD700/SRX11 vs RD700SX). They came out at the same time.

Archived