Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard that fits this profile?

Hi, I'm going to buy a keyboard soon but would appreciate peoples advice on what keyboard(s) fit the description of what I would like to be capable of doing. Right now I'm very green with regards to the most technical aspects, but would really like to have an instrument to use while I'm still learning about them, without having to look back in retrospect and realize I made the wrong choice.

Price: $400-$650

Home use only.

Computer connectivity (usb)

Use; primarily for creating my own music, practicing theory.

Mostly just want the capability to;

Have as many sound options as possible; I remember having some small $25 radioshack keyboard when I was young that had something like 80 sound sets from organs to drums to fun/unique lasers etc ..therfore I would assume that mid-range keyboard's lately would at least have hundreds of variations. The capability of creating/finding new ones online through a usb interface, would be great if such a thing exists.

This is likely (if best) done through 3rd party software, unsure; but connected to the computer, being able to record/overlay tracks/effects I create from the keyboard.

These things are somewhat insignificant; but financial reasons, don't need things like; huge LCD's, stand, amazing speakers (will use headphones, or my own), things like keylighting, direct internet connectivity (prefer to update through usb). Also, given my current location (Japan) a Japanese brand (yamaha..) would prob be preferred.

Basically; mid-range, lots of sound options (updatable prefered, not needed) that can connect to my computer. Without price increasing/ un-needed extra's, or super live-type durability & prof-studio type quality.

Quality should already be fine for me at that range, and I think computer software already exists that would enable one to manipulate/record (most sounds,drums,effects) input from the keyboard, much better than doing it through the keyboard alone.

Thanks for any advice, from looking online most keyboard already seem to be able to do the things I mentioned so hopefully someone can just let me know what models they think would work best.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fork

Without making a specific recommendation, I'd advise checking out used gear in Japan. I lived in Shiga near Kyoto for 7 years and learned pretty quickly that the Japanese as a general rule hate the idea of buying anything used; consequently, the price of used gear is incredibly cheap - if you can find it. There are some used music stores around and a few "recycle shops." Also keep an eye open for "Sayonara Sales" in english language newspapers and magazines - other expats selling off their stuff before returning home.

Note that this doesn't apply to "vintage" gear. Like most places, there's a contingent of players who will vastly over-pay for some of this stuff. I have a friend who pretty much financed his 2 week Japanese vacation by bringing a mint Prophet 5 with him and wholesaling it to a Tokyo music store - I shudder to think what it may have retailed for.

As you shop, I wouldn't get too hung up on a direct USB connection. Simple USB to MIDI interfaces are very cheap and will connect your keyboard to your PC with just one extra cable.

Enjoy your stay

bjl

Hammond SK1, Casio Privia PX5-S, SpaceStation V.3, Behringer B1200D, 2-EV ZxA1s

MacBook Air, Novation ReMOTE 37SL, Logic, Pianoteq 5 Stage, Scarbee Vintage Keys

The MIDI Gizmo Museum!

If you're going computer music only, have you considered getting a good midi controller and using Virtual Instruments? It seems like in that price range you'd be looking at a Casio or Yamaha PSR which personally, I don't really care for. If you're going to go into the comp anyway, that might be the best way to go. You can get good quality sounds for cheap or free and if you feel the need, upgrade from there. It would basically be infinitely upgradable.

If you're looking for something you can play without the computer, I'd say go to a local music store and see what you like best. Yamaha keyboards in that range aren't bad per se, and they'll have all the sounds you need.

"...Keytar in a heavy metal band is nothing more than window dressing" - Sven Golly

Cursed Eternity - My Band

Dick Ward - My Me

Thanks for the quick replies.

I've heard about looking for used gear recently from a friend here, since I live in Tokyo now, tommorow I plan on going down to Ochnomizu which apparently has the most music stores in Tokyo right all close to the station, and looking at what's available. I've heard that most new gear is also overpriced here so I'll make sure to find some used stores.

Since I'm quite new to how all the music digitally interfaces with each other, if most mid-range stuff has some means of connecting with a computer that's fine. USB just seemed most user-friendly.

* I primarily need to have a intermediate means of saving/editing music projects as a general guide for, hopefully, later re-creation with much better equipment) in the best quality I can get in that price range.

I thought MIDI is just electric data corresponding to note frequencies, that can be recreated digitally. If so, isn't all the input data from electric keyboards in MIDI format? I was under the impression the keyboard itself would act as a MIDI input device and the virtual intruments could be edited through either settings on the keyboard or software translating the data. Hope that's somewhat correct.

Not sure of the pricing in Japan, but in Canada your price range is not really mid range. It is entry level.

Used might be a different story - especially if you are lucky.

Dick's idea is a good one. You should be able to pick up a controlerwith no or few sounds in your price range. Then you could find freeware or cheap software synths.

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

I'm also Canadian, so with with regards to pricing; If $600 = entry level something in Canada, in Japan it will likely equal a very nice laminated photo of the something, perhaps with a anime charactor or pop-singer in the photo with some catchy english like "love, banana milk, life is pretty" in big letters.

I'm reading more online now about just controllers and it seems like what I was looking for, simple imput device for home use that are generally cheaper and are made to imput data.

With regards to sound creation for the input midi; are the digital intrument sounds entirely created/selected through the computer? Is the sound selection and quality then just relative to the computer's hardware and software? Thanks.

For most controllers it's all computer, but some have built in sounds. Sound quality would be all computer and software. There's some amazing stuff out there. Do a search for soft synths and you'll find a ton. Especially about Ivory :P

Oh, and if you see my girl Goto Maki, say hi for me, won't ya?

http://images.google.com/url?q=http://wiki.d-addicts.com/static/images/thumb/e/e1/180px-Maki_Goto1.jpg

"...Keytar in a heavy metal band is nothing more than window dressing" - Sven Golly

Dick Ward - My Me

Searching now. I should really have just made this thread about Midi controller's from the start. Any specific ones that you would reccomend me to look at tommorow?

To avoid misunderstandings with the staff I would rather have some good models already in my head before I go.

btw, i did in fact see your girl on tv recently;) but I don't think Gocchan is part of that group anymore, or if she still does more than appearences.

I know she was in Morning Musume, but I did see a single video of hers recently. What can I say, I'm a sucker for J-pop! Any music that is that catchy and focuses that much on melody is for me:D

Take a look at some of the controllers that are made and think about what you need. Do you need 88 keys? Do you want it to have assignable buttons and knobs? I use an M-Audio 88es which is just 88 key and weighted, no special features. It's not too bad. I always check sweetwater.com for an idea of what's out there. It's very important to make sure you like the keys too. If I get a new synth weighted controller, I think I'll be going with The M-Audio Axiom 61 Seems pretty solid to me.

Dick Ward - My Me

Archived