Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stagemonitors for Keyboarder

Killerloop

Hy I am a Keyboarder. I play in 2 Bands. One is a small Acoustic Band (Jazz and Barmusic) and another is a Rockband with 2 Guitarists.- So ist's not unnatural lloud but loud.

I hope in the next few weaks i will have this setup: S90ES Nord Stage compact (or Nord electro)

I need Stagemonitors. I think active woulb be the best choice.

What can you recomend me?

It should have following qualities:

It has to be strong enough to have it as a good Monitor when playing with a normal Pop/Rockband.

But when i play alone or just comp a singer in a small club i would like to use it as a Mini PA (or let say other. Just using this box.) The problem is that the keyboarder is the only one in a band which has no "acive instrument" (without extern boxes you cannot hear yourself)

So for me another important thing is that it sounds really good.- Becaude sometimes in summer (we have a small house on a pond) i will play and really practice just about this box. At home i have Studiomonitors but for playing in holiday i will not take them with me.

What do you think?

I would like to have a really good Monitorsound.- No HIFI sound or something else a good dry signal.- Not a entertainer box.

I thought about something like this.

HK Dart

HK Fast KRK

Dynacord AM12

Mackie Geo 15

What do you think? a 12" or a 15" Speaker? (For the keyboard but also for the whole Monitormix.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i used to use DYNACORD AM12

totally amazing little powered cab

that would be my choise over the rest of them

i now use 2 x EV SXA360 cabs for my keyboards onstage - Stereo is the way to go, but obviously not if you dont have the space or need the volume

good luck making your choice

www.wayneharris.co.uk

Roland Fantom X8 (SRX-04, SRX-07, SRX-11, SRX-12) - Yamaha Motif ES7 - Kawai MP11 - Hammond XK-1C - Korg TR Rack - Korg SG Rack - Quiklok Z72 - Quiklok SL930 - Electrovoice SXA360's

Search this forum for "keyboard monitor", because a LOT has been written.

I use a Yamaha EMX5000 (overkill, but that's better than underkill) with a pair of JBL JRX11M 12" monitors. Sounds great, nicely portable, and works great as a small to medium PA (with more/bigger speakers for "medium"). The Yamaha runs $550 and the monitors are $285 each.

I like the definition and portability of 12", and I like the versatility of wedge shape speakers, which can be set on the floor (angled or vertically), on bar stools, or on pole mounts.

But if you're covering bass with your left hand for a rock band, or you want to make that guy in the front row toss his cookies via subsonics, or you play Hammond pedal tones and want to watch peoples' hair move with it, you'll want 15" speakers or a subwoofer.

Other folks like one or two "keyboard amps", which are kinda like guitar amps only they sound good. BluesKeys has a pair of Rolands, one bigger one smaller, and he sets the smaller one on the bigger one (which has casters) and rolls them both: a one-trip PA, and it sounds great. And versatile, because you can always take just one to a smaller gig or practice. But maybe not the best small PA (though it would pinch hit if need be).

I use a pair of JBL Eon 10 G2's. It's a good compromise for me, because they're small, light, self-powered, I can easily take two of them to gigs for stereo, and they sound better to my ears than any 'keyboard amp' I've tried. Plus, I can use them as a small p.a. if I need to.

Can't comment on any of the ones you mentioned, because I haven't heard them.

By the way, what's a Mackie Geo? Never heard of that.

Archived