Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Vote off one of these pianos...

daBowsa

And today the poll numbers have changed - with Piano #1 given 11 votes (52%) and Pianos #2 & 3 at a dead heat now at 5 votes each. Wow. Still LOL!

Nice demos dabowsa, good clean recordings too. The electric piano has a nice bite to it at the higher velocity levels. It should also be heard with the reverb+chorus which adds to the Rhodesy tone. And the stereo acoustic piano sound is remarkable.

In other forums the RS DP-4703 is also hot - lots of people snapping them up. It's worth mentioning that besides being incredibly light (25 lbs) the RS DP-4703 feels solidly built and sturdy. I bought Casio's Privia GigBag for mine (easy to find if you Google for "Casio Privia GigBag") which fits it perfectly, and I've never carried a more comfortable 88. I still use mine mostly as a MIDI controller (love the hammer action) but I've also been practicing some with the internal sounds. I still get giggly over only spending $300 for the RS DP-4703... this is a strong contender for best bang-for-the-buck digital piano of the year.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pro - I totally agree with your assessment. I carry this think under my arm as if it were my Electro!

"Giddy" is a great word - the feelings of guilt over spending $1500 while I play the 4 or 5 patches on my S90 that my wife and kids never touch have vanished!

Instead, we fight over who gets to sit and tinker on the piano. When they go to bed, I whisk it upstairs and MIDI it to my Electro and record it direct on my PC. Having the onboard speakers is perfect for anyone in the house to just sit down and play.

Just FYI, I edited the SoundClick page to include which effects were turned on in the 'description' section. The Rhodes demo already had the Reverb and Chorus on, as you suggested. I hope the "bite" you mentioned came across on the recording - I have a hard time digging in with my right hand while keeping my left hand steady. Practice, my boy! Practice! But the unison parts show a little bark down low.

Personally, I think the strings have a very short sample loop which is obvious when they're exposed. However, in the right register, as a string "section," it could get some use in a pinch.

I agree with the bang:buck analysis - I mean, try finding an 88 weighted controller for less than $500!

I am one of the few, but I thought piano 3 was the worst. I purposely didn't read the replies to the thread before voting so I didn't know what example was what piano. Still, for a $300 piano, it's not bad.

Maybe it was a little brain bell going off, but I liked #2 the best, and it turned out to be the good ol' Electro! Go figure.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Originally posted by StillFightingIt:

Hey daBowsa,

I just realised I didn't reply after asking you to go to the effort of recording those clips.

Sorry about that,

I'm actually really impressed that a dp that cheap can sound that good.

Oh, and nice work with the demos

Appreciated.

Have fun with it

No problem - it was a fun excercise, and fun getting to know my new "toy." :cool:

• 2 months later...
I'm a latecomer to this thread, but thanks for posting the comparison. I wish purgatorycreek had Casio samples so that you could compare. I'm probably going to be getting a Casio PX-310 (similar to the RS piano) for now since it's cheap, portable, and I like the feel, but now that I hear them side by side, I liked the Yamaha sound better.
PX-310 | amateur jazz and some classical

Archived