Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Panasonic DA7 vs. Yamaha O1x/i88x

ddclark777

New poster here... I am trying to condense my home studio and was looking into jumping into the world of mLAN. Still learning about it, but it sounds like it would allow me to do all that i need to do with less equipment. Here is a list of my current gear:

Apple G4 dual processer

Panasonic/RAMSA da7 automatic digital mixer

MOTU Digital Performer 4.61

Yamaha MOTIF ES7

Yamaha MOTIF Rack

Korg Trinity Pro-73 w/ Tri-Moss expansion board

Yamaha CS6x

Akai MPC2000

MOTU 2408 mkII D/A interface

MOTU microexpress midi interface

I am thinking of getting rid of my DA7 in favor of going "smaller" with the Yamaha O1x. If anyone out there is familiar with this unit and/or the Yamaha i88x I would appreciate any help/advice/suggestions.

Thanks!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Though I only have experience with the first generation mLan, I would just stay away from it, especially if you have a good functioning system. You got a good set up. Is your DA7 connected to the 2408 digitally? That would be ideal.
Raul

Sergievsky... is there a particular softsynth/softsampler that you have in mind? I know that there are plenty out there. I purchased "Retro AS1" a couple of years ago, but it only worked in Classic. I tried getting an update, but wasn't able to. I know that softsynths have come a long way since, but don't really know what's considered really good?

The choices are pretty overwhelming nowadays. You're gonna spend quite a bit of time researching to find what fits your style. Searching this forum alone you'll get a bazillion answers.

My suggestion is start with Spectrasonics' Atmosphere. And since you use DP, check out motu's site for Mach5 (I use kontakt2 and Gigastudio).

Raul

Originally posted by ddclark777:

New poster here... I am trying to condense my home studio and was looking into jumping into the world of mLAN. Still learning about it, but it sounds like it would allow me to do all that i need to do with less equipment. Here is a list of my current gear:

Apple G4 dual processer

Panasonic/RAMSA da7 automatic digital mixer

MOTU Digital Performer 4.61

Yamaha MOTIF ES7

Yamaha MOTIF Rack

Korg Trinity Pro-73 w/ Tri-Moss expansion board

Yamaha CS6x

Akai MPC2000

MOTU 2408 mkII D/A interface

MOTU microexpress midi interface

I am thinking of getting rid of my DA7 in favor of going "smaller" with the Yamaha O1x. If anyone out there is familiar with this unit and/or the Yamaha i88x I would appreciate any help/advice/suggestions.

Thanks!

Have you thought about silica gel - I mean a better shelving/racking system instead?

Archived